Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine - G-Drive message "appears to be read only"

Hi,

I have a 3tb G-Drive which I have connected via FireWire and is used only for Time Machine backups.

Periodically, every couple of days or so now it seems (is a desktop that is always on at home for iTunes, etc.) I get the message that the backup could not be completed as the disk appears to be read only.

I have used disk utility to repair the disk which did not work so next step was to erase and reformat which then worked for a couple of days.

The disk shows up fine in the finder, it is only Time Machine that can't use it for the specifed problem. I have looked under permissions and saw that they were read/write for myself and "staff" accounts but read only for "everyone". Upon changing "everyone" to read/write Time Machine again is able to use the disk.

Could there be something in Mountain Lion or my apps that is periodically setting the "everyone" to read only?

Thanks for any help.

The G-Drive is about 6 months old.

OSX Mountain Lion Mail-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 4:18 PM

Solved... Erased entire backup disk, reformatted and seems to be working again.

1 reply

Time Machine - G-Drive message "appears to be read only"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.