Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help with contacts.

Ok, I just recently got the Iphone 4s. I need some help with contacts. I ended up adding my hotmail contacts to my phone and now every time I add a new contact, it adds the person to my hotmail contacts instead of my All On My Iphone contacts. I don't like it because I am adding phone numbers, not necessarily with email addresses.

If you sent me a message right now and I went in and added you as a contact, it adds you to my hotmail contacts instead of my iphone ones for some reason. How can I fix this? And if I delete my hotmail account temporarily (and re-add it) will I lose the contacts that my phone put in there mistakenly?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 1:32 PM

6 replies

Aug 19, 2012 1:42 PM in response to NCBlonde

You want it this way. What happens if your iPhone is lost or stolen or damaged beyond repair?

Turning contacts off for over the air syncing with an email account that supports this or when deleting the account, all online contacts with the account will be removed from the iPhone. Re-add the account or turn contacts back on for over the air syncing and the contacts will be restored.

Although contacts are included with the iPhone's backup, so is quite a bit of other data. If something goes wrong with your iPhone's backup in regards to this data, your contacts will be lost. I have not heard of online contacts being lost. This is more of a foolproof backup for such important info.

Aug 19, 2012 1:48 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Well, I don't care if it makes a back-up of my contacts in my hotmail. But, I would like my contacts to go to my actual phone contacts. I call and text much more than I email and it would be nice to have to not wade through my email contacts to find someone I am looking to text, etc.

I know it's not a huge hassle, but I prefer to keep the people I contact most within my text/phone contacts, rather than email.

Also, if I opt to change my email service (hotmail gets a lot of spam), I don't want to lose phone/text contacts because I no longer use that email anymore.

I wouldn't even care if they appeared in both, for my most contacted. I just would like to have them in my phone book without having to add them all by hand.

Aug 19, 2012 2:02 PM in response to Robert1986nb

Thank you. Here is a good example of why I don't want my contacts going solely to Hotmail. I just signed in to check out my contacts there, in case I had to add them back to my phone manually after removing hotmail, and I can't even get to my contacts via hotmail on my computer. The link to contacts is broken.

That's why I don't mind having them backed up on my computer or in my email, but I would prefer to have primary access on my phone.

Thanks again.

I need help with contacts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.