Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to set up Airport Express as range extender

I successfully set up my new Airport Extreme base station. Now I want to add on my new Airport Express to extend the range of WiFi. I plugged in the Express, opened Airport Utility, selected the Express icon on the left. I get this message: "Setting up this AirPort wireless device requires switching wireless networks. Switching wireless networks may interrupt your connection to the Internet." What does this mean? Should I go ahead and click "Switch"? None of the directions in the manual or discussion forums mention this message in their instructions. I am timid! Can anyone advise me?

iMac and MacBook Pro-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 2:30 PM

Be brave, and click "Switch" so that AirPort Utility can communicate with the AirPort Express.

If you don't, then the AirPort Express setup will be canceled and you will have to start all over again...and make the same "switch" decision all over again.

Once the Express is setup, be sure to switch back to your normal wireless network.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2012 2:30 PM in response to Maria Folsom

Be brave, and click "Switch" so that AirPort Utility can communicate with the AirPort Express.

If you don't, then the AirPort Express setup will be canceled and you will have to start all over again...and make the same "switch" decision all over again.

Once the Express is setup, be sure to switch back to your normal wireless network.

Aug 20, 2012 7:35 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, I had a big failure today. I clicked on Airport Extreme and "Switch," and chose the option "Extend the range of network." I answered the other required questions (password, etc.) then waited for Airport Utility to "Upgrade" the system. After about 3 minutes Airport Utility says that the network cannot be found! The whole internet service was down! Did not even appear in the Airport menu. The base station no longer appeared in the left column, and I had to reset and re-enter the base Extreme all over again.

Then I tried again but this time used Airport Express first. It said that my network "could not be found." I tried again the original way - I am embarrassed to tell how many times I tried this. Finally I gave up. I will be returning the Airport Express gizmo to amazon.com for a refund. I don't know how other smart people accomplished this, but apparently the range cannot be "extended' on Airport Extreme, so I sure don't need the Extender.

I wish I could learn something from this frustrating experience, other than I am not very capable, and Apple products are not all they are cracked up to be.

Any comments?

Aug 21, 2012 4:42 PM in response to Sunderlandafclad

Andy, do not despair. Thanks to Bob Timmons (see the above post) I called Apple Tech support and requested free phone support. It worked! I could try to explain what I did, but it is truly too complicated. And don't feel stupid - - it is NOT in the manual, and it is NOT intuitive or self-explanatory. If you fill out the tech support quetionnaire, ask them to waive the fee, and ask them to call you back, you will get someone to walk you through this.

I felt so frustrated yesterday but Bob Timmons' suggestion was right on.

I recommend this before you call: have serial numbers ready for both the Extreme and Express; have the Express unit in the room with you (a room with an electric outlet) and have your Airport Utility ready.

Good luck.

Trying to set up Airport Express as range extender

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.