Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my Time Capsule as a External Hard Drive (through Ethernet) ONLY?

Here is my situation:

I am a college student and have been using my Time Capsule to create a wireless network (or extend a previous one) and also to store my iTunes library content (kind of like a wireless hard drive). I just moved into a new apartment and they already have a wireless network and it works just fine how it is. I know that I can extend the network through my Time Capsule (wirelessly because I don't have a long enough ethernet cord to connect into the existing modem), but I don't need/want to because it would just add another path of access for data to go through. I don't mind just having my computer connect wirelessly to the existing wireless router rather than sending it wirelessly through the Time Capsule which would then just need to send the data to the existing router. It just seems like it would make things slower and I don't want to even deal with it. I hope that makes sense.

This is what I want to do and I'm wondering if it is possible and if so how to do it. First, I want my computer to be connected to the current wireless network (as if I didn't even have a TIme Capsule extending the network) so I can access the internet BUT SECOND, I want to access the iTunes library content I have saved on the Time Capsule through a direct ethernet connection. I have too much content (i.e. movies, music...etc) to be able to save it all on my laptop and so that is why it is on the Time Capsule. So simply, if the Time Capsule is plugged into my laptop, can I have it so it ONLY acts like a normal ethernet connected external hard drive?

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 6:42 PM

5 replies

Aug 23, 2012 1:31 PM in response to sptolboe

TC can be set a number of different ways.. Just run it as a router for now.. ie exactly at default.. The fact that you don't have WAN address or connection is irrelevant.. we can tell the TC to ignore the problem. At default the TC is 10.0.1.1

The only issue you can have is if the wireless network is also 10.0.x.x. if it is change the IP of the TC to 192.168.10.1 (or whatever you like.. as long as it isn't the same).

Use static IP settings for the network in the Mac.. you can use exactly the same IP and subnet the TC passed by dhcp. Just no router (gateway) or dns.. so as to not confuse the main network.

You seem to be worrying to much about getting everything right..

Start.. learn.. it is faster to do it and see what happens.. than keep asking questions.

If you run into a snag disconnect the TC.. or reset to default and ask the specific question.

Can I use my Time Capsule as a External Hard Drive (through Ethernet) ONLY?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.