Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery recharge issues, help please?

I have an old PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz running OS 10.5.8, the battery is somewhat new but upon full discharge (clock reverts to 1969) the battery remains empty but the power connection shows a green light instead of the usual red light (when it starts recharging), so battery does not charge. Anyone has a solution for this?

Many thanks in advance.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 6:14 AM

9 replies

Aug 22, 2012 5:12 AM in response to BGreg

I have tried the instructions to reset the PMU but nothing changed. I have the 15" model and will try resetting the PRAM if possible.

The battery has drained completely, when I remove it and install it again the power adapter (upon wiggling) changes from green to orange and eventually red. The battery icon shows 0% and within a few minutes the power adapter changes to green again, so the battery is not charging at all. The battery is only a few years old.

Any other suggstions? Maybe I can bring it to an Apple store and see if they can charge the battery?

Thank you for all the replies!

Aug 22, 2012 3:21 PM in response to lufela

... when I remove it and install it again the power adapter (upon wiggling) changes from green to orange and eventually red.

If you put a pencil eraser or the tip of a pen on the female power jack on the Powerbook, does the jack wiggle side-to-side (don't force it!), or at all? If so, you may have a failing DC-in card. Over time, that jack can come loose from the circuit board. When the jack can wiggle, youi may get sporadic power connections to the system. As I recall, when we had one replaced a few years back, the DC-in card from Apple was around $75 to $90.

Battery recharge issues, help please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.