Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone else's USB adaptor on the charging cable get really hot when charging your iPhone?

My USB adaptor on my iPhone charging cable gets really hot (50 Celsius) when charging my iPhone 4. If I use my iPod USB adaptor, it only reaches 30 Celsius. I got a replacement USB adaptor from Apple and it too reaches 50 Celsius. Is this normal or did I get another bad adaptor?

iPhone 4 (8GB), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 7:11 AM

4 replies

Aug 20, 2012 9:26 AM in response to Rudegar

This is when the iPhone is plugged in to a wall outlet. The USB adaptor is the part that gets hot - the connecting cable is fine. I tried using my iPhone connecting cable with the iPod USB adaptor, and that USB adaptor still only got to 30 celsius. So something is definitely up with the iPhone USB adaptor. I have tried it in various wall outlets and it always gets hot.

I have searched Apple support to try to find operating specs on the USB adaptor to see if 50 celsius is acceptable, but can't find anything.

Does anyone else's USB adaptor on the charging cable get really hot when charging your iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.