Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will there be a release of server admin tools to suit Moutain Lion

i was using admin tools 10.7 and have upgraded to mountain lion. now i am unable to configure the server in the same way as server admin can. what is out there to use.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion, OSX Server

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 7:49 AM

9 replies

Aug 21, 2012 7:56 AM in response to Nathan_Fisher

Command line, my friend.

10.8 is easier to support if you're using it inside Apple's box.

But if you're doing stuff that suddenly they don't support through the GUI, then you'll have to talk to an "Apple Genius," or a person that knows how to configure the service in question through the command line.

There's another post here from a guy who says he wants to enable Authenticated Directory Binding, but that checkbox is no longer anywhere to be found in any app.

You can still do it, but you just have to know where to look.

What service are you trying to modify and can't? Perhaps someone here can help?

Aug 21, 2012 8:18 AM in response to gracoat

gracoat wrote:

But if you're doing stuff that suddenly they don't support through the GUI, then you'll have to talk to an "Apple Genius," or a person that knows how to configure the service in question through the command line.

Or read the manual and man pages -- probably a bit of Googling too. That's what I did...for all of things, the GUI Open Directory settings that are no longer there in Mt. Lion, e.g. disable clear text, block man-in-middle, authenticated binding, etc.

Aug 21, 2012 12:41 PM in response to Eric.

Both Workgroup Manager and Server Admin have been deprecated. You'll note that more services have been put in Server.app since 10.7. That trend will likely continue. I suspect there will be more attempts to provide "advanced" views, such as the DNS "Show all records" view, for each service eventually. Also, as pointed out here, the command line is still useful for a lot of stuff.

will there be a release of server admin tools to suit Moutain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.