Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stripped screw while attempting to installing RAM

I have an early 2011 15" Macbook pro and recently decided to upgrade my RAM. But while attempting to open the back of the macbook pro, I stripped the head of 2 of the screws.

I'm taking it to a genius bar next week to get them removed and my question is, If I bring the RAM with me, will they install it for me as well?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 8:04 AM

They may, if you're nice...bring beer, donuts, coffee...you do realize this is not covered by warranty, but should be an easy fix & they very well may do so for free.

Good luck.

11 replies

Aug 26, 2012 8:41 AM in response to Socky42

LOL. I wouldn't feel comfortable drilling. Yes, you can get a very small bit, and drill down through the screw, but that's not a great solution. You would also want a magnet to remove any metal parts. You don't want metal shreds dancing around your logic board. You need the right size bit and have to be sure you don't drill too far. What I would try to do is first use the proper driver. If you stripped it, you may have not been using the proper driver. But get the proper size, then try to find some glue/gel/apoxy you could apply to the head of the screw and driver so they bond, then gently try to unscrew. Someone may have a better idea?

Bryan

Aug 26, 2012 9:16 AM in response to Socky42

Like others have said, if you have enough of a head to "grab" those options mentioned are much better. As a last resort, if you had nothing to "grab" you would actually drill through the screw, essentially destroying the scew and freeing up that space. However, that would be a last resort. I've seen this done before on a larger bolt, and not a computer.

Bryan

Stripped screw while attempting to installing RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.