Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is this outdated information still being posted?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2515

Both Apple options were disabled months ago. In Snow Leopard there is no option to sign up via iCloud.

GoogleTalk require software download and apparent install (from them) to sign up. Other than AIM, how can I easily set up video chats using Mac software? I do have an iCloud account.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 8:17 AM

3 replies

Aug 20, 2012 2:38 PM in response to Kurt Triffet

Hi,

Some of that info is correct but you are right it would help to point to other articles about what names will work

On the other hand I don't understand your comment about Google.

Google run a Jabber server for Google Mail IDs that have Talk enabled on their Accounts

Once that is done (The enabling if the Talk option) then the name as it appears on the Google mail web Page can be used, as is, in iChat.

The Video web browser plug-in is needed if your Google Buddy is not using iChat and is using a web browser themselves to "Chat"

This Plug-in and the protocol (Jingle) used in the PC Standalone App called Google Talk are not compatible with other Jabber apps (see here ) despite Google claiming to have helped to create it.

So as well as AIM you could use a Jabber ID and Google Talk is one.

Facebook also allow their IDs to be used with their Jabber Server (Enable "Chat")

There are many more Jabber servers to register with.

You can create an @mac.com Name

This will need an email

It cannot be one already lined to an Apple ID (Or another Email type Apple ID)

Keep the password to 16 characters or less as this is the AIM limit.

User uploaded file
10:38 PM Monday; August 20, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Aug 20, 2012 4:44 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Appreciate your detailed response, but not as straughtforward as I figured a Mac product should be.

Really only want to use iChat to video chat with someone on another Mac.

Was hoping this all could be done with a couple clicks.

You've confused me with instructions to set up a mac.com email. This is now iCloud.

If you click on the Google Talk link in the FAQ, you'll see that it goes to a page that wants you to download software. Was trying to avoid this.

I do have an apple ID that is an email address. Was hoping to do it with this.

Aug 21, 2012 1:04 PM in response to Kurt Triffet

Hi,

No. @Mac.com accounts are not iCloud accounts.

I specifically pointed you to that page as an iCloud Account (@me.com name) will not work in iChat 5

iCloud comes out about the same time as Lion and iChat 6

iChat 6 does two logins for an @Me.com name.

One to AIM and one to the me.com server

This second connection allows the AIM Servers to "See" the password.

iChat 5 and earlier versions do not have this dual Login so iCloud issued names do not work.

To use iChat, all you need is access to the Internet and one of the following accounts: iCloud, MobileMe, AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), Google Talk, Yahoo, or Jabber. Here's how to set up and use iChat.

The piece says you need an Account from one of these.

It does not say you need to do anything about downloading anything extra.

I would agree that the Yahoo, iCloud, MobileMe (via a redirect to iCloud) and the AIM link all seem to be to pages to create names/Accounts with those services whereas the Google one goes to a page about the Plug-in.

The @mac.com phenomena is due to the way Apple created these accounts in the first place.

You could sign up for a Trial or let a paid-for Account lapse and the name would still work in iChat (With the AIM servers).

When MobileMe came about that page got titled "iChat Accounts" although this has been dropped since iCloud started up.

The Get an Account button in iChat 5 used to go to this page when the drop down said @mac.com like the pic on the Mac 101 page.

The reason Apple Disabled them is AIM moved their Login Page so the link in iChat from the Get An Account Button whilst AIM was Selected did not work.

The MobileMe one was also coming to an End (During June 2011 new accounts in MobileMe stopped).

It seemed then that Apple decided to end the Link button action (even though it still works for @Mac.com in iChat 4 and in that version MobileMe pointed to the "Free" @Mac.com name site and the AIM one never worked).

The first pic on the Mac 101 for iChat page is also "wrong" as your version looks like this

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

To be clear.

@mac.com names are Apple IDs as well as AIM valid Screen Names although they are not valid Email names

The Google Link in the Mac 101 page should make it clear that you need a Google Mail Account with "Talk" Enabled on the Account settings and take your to a page to get a Google Mail Account.

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

The Pic should be of iChat 5 (and not iChat 3 or 6) and should state the "Get an iChat Account" Button no longer works.

The current Google Talk in that Mac 101 page takes you to a Web Browser Plug-in page to enable your Web Browser to be able to do Google Video chat in a Browser. (But is unrelated to iChat).

I will push info at Apple via the iChat Feed back page and a forum where Level 6 posters can post info for the Hosts to pass on.

Hopefully the page will get changed..

User uploaded file
9:04 PM Tuesday; August 21, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Why is this outdated information still being posted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.