6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 11:15 PM by Marcus Muench1
Marcus Muench1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

After upgrading my Macbook Air from Lion to Mountain Lion, the system has a very high cpu load, and the crash reporter is the process that causes thee high load. In the error log I see this entry several times per second:

17.08.12 12:58:46,011 ReportCrash[5998]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.crash

com.apple.message.signature: Image Capture Extension

com.apple.message.signature2: com.apple.ImageCaptureExtension2 ||| 8.0 (8.0)

com.apple.message.signature3: 03A96CBDA3C85A114383537BFC5C8999

com.apple.message.result: NO

com.apple.message.summarize: YES

I investigated a bit more and recovered, that it has something to do with the printer drivers. When I remove all printers from setting, everything is fine. As soon as I add a printer (Brother MFC 9440CN printer/scanner, printer driver provided by Mountan Lion), the crash reporter starts it's work and the error log is full of those entries.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion
  • Marcus Muench1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I did more exploration and found the cause of this, but I don't know how to fix it:

I removed all Brother and Lexmark printer drivers and rebooted (and also tested with a virtual machine using 10.8.0 as guest os that never had any printer installed). As soon as I enter the printer settings and press the "+", the crashes begin, so it looked like the bonjour one of the printers announcing themselves via Bonjour were causing this.

When watching a picture in the preview app the same happend. We have two multi function printers in our network, the already mentioned brother printer and a Lexmark X204N. Switching off the Lexmark (which wasn't installed on my Mac) solved the problem. Switching off the printer is no solution in our office (it's our fax device and main printer), but switching off mDNS on the Lexmark also solved it. But this can only be a workaround.

Is this a known problem with Lexmark devices and Mountain Lion (it works fine with machines using Lion)? Are there any fixes known? It's just the Lexmark device announing itself via Bonjour that causes trouble, even if the driver is not installed.

Ok, I found out even more. It's not the Lexmark driver that's causing the trouble, it's the printer itself and the Bonjour broadcasts it's sending. When I deactivate mDNS in the printer configuration interface, eveything is fine. I can even install the printer manually using JetDirect connection and the printer's IP-address, everything works smooth. So it looks like an incompatibility between Lexmark's Bonjour implementation and Mountain Lion (as Lion did not have this problems). I do not know if it's Apple's or Lexmark's part to fix this.

• frayedends Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've found the same issue with an x264dn on a network setup.  mDNS causes a crash loop in image capture.app, and the scanner portion will not register.  

There is clearly an issue with Lexmark's bonjour implementation, but there's also some issue with getting the scanner drivers to properly load.  

I think so, too. Unfortunately there is no firmware update available for the x204n, and I found no support forum at Lexmark's german website where I could report the problem :-(

• Supporteer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hey there,

I had the same problem. I installed latest Lexmark's Image Capture Application Scan Driver  on my laptop and it seems to solve the problem. CreashReport disappeared from Activity Monitor right after the installation, even without restart!

With latest version, do you mean this one? It's the only one I found, and it seems to be a little bit old.

Scanner driver for Mac OS X

File Name:  Scanning_X_1.03.dmg

Released  09/29/2010

Version:  1.0

File Size  28.96 MB