Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add a folder to my Archive folder in Mail?

On previous versions of Mail (on my Mac, NOT on my iPhone), I was able to move whole folders into Archive, but I can't seem to do that anymore. When I move a folder over the Archive folder, nothing happens.

After looking around, it looks like I can only move single messages or groups of messages into the Archive folder, but that can't be right, can it?

I want to keep my archived emails sorted by the folders they exist in already... can someone please help me do that?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion, / 16GB iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 9:21 AM

9 replies

Oct 11, 2012 5:01 AM in response to Hurangeshu

The only way you can now add additional folders to the 'Archive' folder/mailbox is to create the new folders using the specific mail application.

If you have Apple Mail pointing to a Gmail account, you will need to access Gmail web interface and create the folder there. Likewise for Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, etc.

Not sure if this will work for Apple Cloud mail accounts.

I have a @sky.com account and accessed the Sky webmail interface, created the new folders (Archive/*****) and reopned Apple Mail and there they were under the Archive folder :-)

Feb 4, 2013 10:32 AM in response to Hurangeshu

Ok, I think I found the trick that works in iCloud. Basically, this is the same trick as Roofusdude describes above. In Apple Mail, start to create a mailbox in the same way that you normally would. Select iCloud as the location of the mailbox, and create the new mailbox as "Archive/<subfolder_name>" where <subfolder_name> is the name of the new folder you wanted under Archive. This worked fine with Apple Mail with iCloud under Mountain Lion. Seems like it would work generally in Apple Mail.

How do I add a folder to my Archive folder in Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.