Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 16GB GSM proximity sensor and noise mic not working

I have iPhone 4 16GB att that I bought in 2010 so it is out of warranty. Few days ago, power button stopped working. I disassempled the phone and noticed that small part(like tiny dot) on power flex cable that connects with power button was missing. so I bought a new flex cable on ebay for about 5 bucks and replaced it. Now power button clicks and works but this repair raised 2 more issues.

1. proximity sensor not working, screen won't go off when I put phone against the ear.

2. noise cancelling mic not working, no sound when I record video, no sound during call (while using speaker), no sound during facetime, but I can hear the person on the other end.

So I have to use headphone for face time and bottom mic works fine during the call. is it just bad flex and proximity cable.

Additional info:

I tried, reboot, reset network settings, complete factory restore, no luck.

I didn't touch the lcd screen and/or digitizer.

Please help.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 11:13 AM

7 replies

Aug 27, 2012 3:00 PM in response to brad805

brad805, thanks for your reply. I came across this solution when I fixed noise mic. So I bought that square shaped foam on ebay and now waiting for it. I dispossed my old flex cable. none of the intsructions talked about this important part. go figure. can you please advise how to install it, I think I have to open front glass panel right?

iPhone 4 16GB GSM proximity sensor and noise mic not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.