12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 8:12 AM by LDoza45
LDoza45 Level 1 (25 points)

... I used these constantly. Had different work sites for projects going in each one, and each automatically put proper app there

at start of day! Had no idea they would be taken out of Mountain Lion...and NO I DON"T GIVE A **** if iPad can't use them

I want them on my MacBookPro!

• mende1 Level 10 (92,186 points)

What do you refer to? If you want Spaces, open Mission Control, move the cursor to the top right of the display and add the desktops you need

• LDoza45 Level 1 (25 points)

Oh, Spaces... thank you. Now problem is I have my Mission Control Top Right set to GO TO SLEEP so it does!

Guess I try Mission Control settings/pref to fix that first.

• Noble Seven Level 4 (2,730 points)

Are you talking about "Spaces"? If so, you can get a similar feature by going to System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures, and enabling "Mission Control" as well as "Swipe between full-screen Apps".

Now, swipe up with three or four fingers(whichever you chose), and move your mouse into the top right of this screen. Click the "+" that appears, to create a new desktop. Now, drag the Application window of your choice into that tiny new desktop window.

Now. swipe back down with three or four fingers to return to your normal desktop. Then, using three or four fingers, swipe to the right on your trackpad, and you will switch to your second desktop containing your isolated program.

You can do this many times for each program you wish. Hope this helps!

Sorry, I really don't understand. I managed to get 2 desktops at top of Mission Control and put app's in that I want, but there is no '+' that shows up when I go to upper right and I can't figure out how to open more desktops.

I really, really appreciate your help. Guess I should watch a Mission Control video?

.. since I went right from 10.6 to 10.8 I missed a bunch of changes I guess. 

• leroydouglas Level 6 (17,777 points)

In mission control you should be able to hold down the option key to see the +add desktop

Thanks to all, but when I move my mouse to top right of mission control I DO NOT GET A + sign? How do I make that happen? or can I get it from a drop down menu?

I do hope there is a good video to teach us how to use gestures and Mission Control...as I don't have an iPad I need to learn them too.

• Badunit Level 6 (11,615 points)

Just move the mouse near the top right corner in Mission Control and the + for a new desktop will appear.

You must get it pressing Option key and selecting the desktop that appears at the right. You don't need to move the cursor to the corner

Oh thanks leroy ... I had somehow done that without knowing what I was doing...so got 2 desktops then couldn't replicate...

@mende1 I will go there too thanks!

THANKS TO ALL... finally figured it out. PS since I have my dock on the right..

or for some reaseon my '+' sign appears  at the TOP LEFT! not right...and yes Option Key does it.

Thanks will play with this and see if I can get my Spaces back,

I mostly used them for separate apps but also to get stuff off Safari windows to put in each. Hope I can figure that.

AGAIN THANKS TO EVERYONE!  I had been dreading putting a question up here and not hearing for days...and here

you all are!

My next question is how to fix my printer plug in...but thats for later.

You're welcome

Now that I have been using desktops in Mission Control it works well....except (isn't there always one)

I try to 'assign' an application to a certain desktop, but next time it opens it puts it somewhere else.

How do I fix assignment of applications to a certain desktop?

(PS also just posted question about MAIL recipient list problem that is OLD and won't fix with new OS upgrades

if you have any knowledge of that.)