Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

We have an iMac at home and want to use our Western Digital 2TB My Book Studio for storing all our digital photos and movies. Since we updated our iMac's operating system to Lion, Western Digital 2TB My Book Studio will not not appear in network anymore

We have an iMac (3 years old) at home and want to use our Western Digital 2TB My Book Studio for storing all our digital photos and movies. Since we updated our iMac's operating system to Lion, Western Digital 2TB My Book Studio will not not appear in our network anymore. Western Digital 2TB My Book Studio is plugged into our wireless network router. How do I get our external hard drive will be detected and how do I set up a backup routine in Time Machine?

Our old PC detects Western Digital 2TB My Book Studio, so "it's there" :).

Are grateful for quick and clear answer!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 12:31 AM

6 replies

Aug 22, 2012 5:23 AM in response to Gabbi_Saltsjö-Boo

Check that the data cable is securely inserted at both ends.

Try a different cable.

If you're connecting the drive through a hub, connect it directly to a built-in port on the Mac.

If you're connecting it directly, try a different port.

Disconnect all other devices on the bus, or as many as possible.

Test the drive with another Mac. Test another drive with this Mac.

If the drive is bus-powered, but has an AC adapter, connect the adapter.

Boot into Recovery and launch Disk Utility. Is the drive recognized?

If the drive doesn't work under any of the above conditions, and if another drive does work with the same Mac, then the drive has failed. You may be able to salvage the mechanism by removing it from the enclosure and installing it in another one, or in a drive dock.

We have an iMac at home and want to use our Western Digital 2TB My Book Studio for storing all our digital photos and movies. Since we updated our iMac's operating system to Lion, Western Digital 2TB My Book Studio will not not appear in network anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.