Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

digital noise on iMac

Hi,

last friday the mainboard of my old iMac (2008 Core 2 Duo 2.66 MHz) died. So I got a new iMac (2.7 GHz Core i5) as a replacemant.

The only difference between the old and new situation is the iMac and the Firewire cable (because of the new Firewire 800 port).

My audio interface is a Focusrite Saffire 10 I/O, and my speakers are Yamaha HS50M's.

In the old situation, all was nice and quiet, but I hear a bit of digital noise coming out of the speakers now; it begins when I start Logic, and stops when I quit Logic.

On the headphones, all is nice and quiet, and there's no noise in the recorded audio, either. When I use my old (Firewire) Behringer FCA202 audio interface, I get the same noise through the speakers; and a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface gives the same noise, too.

Any have an idea what causes this? Can it be electro magnetic interference from the iMac? Or a grounding issue?

As said, it happens with both Firewire and USB audio interfaces. It's not loud, but it's slightly annoying nevertheless.

Thanks for any clues!
Jaap

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 12:35 AM

Hi,

after posting my question, I found a discussion on the same subject here on the Logic forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3091724?answerId=15320343022#15320343022

I just plugged my Yamaha monitors into a non-grounded power socket, and the problem is gone :-)

Since there's a ground connection between the iMac and the speakers via the audio cables, I would guess that this shouldn't be too risky...

Regards, Jaap

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2012 12:35 AM in response to jaap

Hi,

after posting my question, I found a discussion on the same subject here on the Logic forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3091724?answerId=15320343022#15320343022

I just plugged my Yamaha monitors into a non-grounded power socket, and the problem is gone :-)

Since there's a ground connection between the iMac and the speakers via the audio cables, I would guess that this shouldn't be too risky...

Regards, Jaap

digital noise on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.