Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create an external DVD drive from Dell enclosure?

I have an external DVD drive which came with my old Latitude X1, would be useful for a MacBook Air:

User uploaded file

But the connector is a weird proprietary Dell D/Bay plug:

User uploaded file

1. Does anyone know how to convert this plug into something usable on a Mac? Some adapter? I've Googled to no avail.

2. Does someone know if the drive that's inside the plastic casing is a standard drive that'll be compatible with one of the £5 caddy enclosures (images; USB powered) that are sold on eBay?

Here is what the drive inside the plastic case looks like from the back:

User uploaded file

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.4GHz Core i7, SSD, Hi-Res Glossy

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 6:12 AM

10 replies

Aug 28, 2012 6:39 AM in response to Rudolfensis

You would probably be better off asking this question in a Dell forum. I have that same model DVD drive, for my Dell D410, and I have no idea if it could easily be done. You would have to open it up, to see if it has a conventional IDE interface internally. If you ask me, it's not even worth it. Sell the whole thing on Ebay, then put the proceeds toward an inexpensive Apple compatible DVD, around $49.00.

Aug 28, 2012 6:46 AM in response to SP Forsythe

Thanks for the reply! 🙂

Selling it would require too much time. Essentially, it would be a just-in-case DVD drive... I haven't had a need for one yet, but you never know. I wouldn't want to pay $50; as in this case, it'd cost me £5 for the plastic casing and USB cables 😀

What about the 3rd photo? Can you tell if that's a conventional IDE interface? Or do you mean to open even that casing up?

I asked on a Dell forum, but nobody replied 😟

Jan 26, 2013 1:00 PM in response to Rudolfensis

I have the same D/BAY and wanted to investigate if I can use it for something else than the Dell laptop. I opened the box. This was unnecessary as on the back there is the power rating: 19.5V 2.8A. Meaning that the power connector (the other connector, not the USB) will have to take that power from the laptop. So if you plan to use it with another laptop, you will have to provide the 19.5V 2.8A also (cannot take it from the USB).

As for the DVD unit itself, it is the same as the one used in the full size Dell laptops (like D630). You can extract it by pushing the right bottom corner button until it pops out then pull the DVD out. Unfortunately it looks like it has a different IDE connector than the one in the £ 5 casing . It looks like this (connectors/pins in the middle):

| =========== |

Jun 28, 2013 10:17 AM in response to alecul

just came across this post and i had to signup and add something. if you dig a little deeper by unscrewing the grey Dell housing around the physical drive (as seen in the 3rd pic above) you'll see that theres a standard 50-pin IDE connector underneath thats used in laptop drives. it should fit nicely into the £5 caddy you posted. I've just taken one apart in front of me and thats what its like.

Create an external DVD drive from Dell enclosure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.