Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail is suddenly refusing to place deleted messages in the trash

I have checked Preferences and the appropriate box is ticked for moving deleted messages into the trash in both of my email accounts. Help please!

Mac mini 1.42, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 7:43 AM

11 replies

Aug 21, 2012 8:20 AM in response to jap0nica

Look in Library/Mail folder in your Home folder. Locate the folder for one of the accounts (might be POP-helen... something) and Get Info. Open the folder and select the Deleted folder and Get Info. In each case, report what shows under Sharing and Permissions.

Are you having any other filing problems? Have you adequate free disk space?

Aug 21, 2012 9:05 AM in response to jap0nica

Did you try this?

Look in Library/Mail folder in your Home folder. Locate the folder for one of the accounts (might be POP-helen... something) and Get Info. Open the folder and select the Deleted folder and Get Info. In each case, report what shows under Sharing and Permissions.

Are you having any other filing problems? Have you adequate free disk space?

Aug 21, 2012 10:29 AM in response to jap0nica

Quit Mail.

Make a copy of the Library/Mail folder.

In the Library/Mail folder (not the copy) delete any files called Envelope Index (probably only one)

Turn off your internet connection

Start Mail. It might take quite some time to restart, as it has to rebuild all mailboxes.

Check.

If something goes wrong, Quit Mail, delete the Library/Mail folder and put the copy in its place, renaming it if necessary.

Remember to turn on your internet connection again 😉

Aug 21, 2012 10:59 AM in response to Austin Kinsella1

Rebuilt is complete, nothing went wrong, but unfortunately I am still not able to delete messages. Should I delete the copy of the Library/Mail folder now?

One thing I have just noticed. Under Trash there is a folder called ON MY MAC. There's nothing in it but beneath it are the names of my 2 email accounts.

Under INBOX there is no folder called ON MY MAC. Only my 2 email account folders.

I don't suppose this any relevance?

Mac Mail is suddenly refusing to place deleted messages in the trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.