Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop focus priority over Finder window focus

Hi guys,

I'm new to Mountain Lion and I've skipped Lion too, therefore I don't know if this is a bug or a feature. Let me describe it:

I'm using Mission Control, since I was a big fan of Spaces. Now, suppose I have a Finder window opened on Desktop 1 and any other software, possibly Safari on Desktop 2. I'm using Safari and then I decide to switch to Finder, using command+tab shortcut. There happens the problem: the focus will be on the Desktop (if I have some files there, if I just use the arrows keys I can navigate through them), instead of being on the Finder window.

My questions: does it happens for you, guys? Is this a bug or a feature? I don't feel like this is the best behavior or the expected one, but if it's, is there a way to workaround this?

If I was not clear, please, feel free to ask for any explanation.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 10:20 AM

9 replies

Apr 11, 2017 10:32 AM in response to gfreh

On macOS Sierra 10.12.4, I can confirm that the Desktop takes focus when switching via Command-Tab to the Finder. This has been consistent behavior for so long that I can't remember when it didn't happen. It looks like a bug to me; the correct behavior would be for the last Finder window that had focus to regain that focus when switching back to Finder from an application.

Desktop focus priority over Finder window focus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.