Skip navigation

Original Files Unavailable

550 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 8:43 PM by Kevin Quattro RSS
penpro Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 21, 2012 10:13 AM

I have been using Aperture for several months now. I have imported and edited hundreds of files without issue. I have not changed any settings that I know of. Aperture is using the iPhoto Library at this time.

I imported a series of images into a new folder. I went back to edit them and none of them are editable. I can't export or any other operation. It always states that the originals are not available. I have cleared the cards that the images came off of so I can't reimport them.

There are icons in the corner of images in Aperture in the lower right corner. Is there a list of what they all are and what they mean any where? The icon that is showing is an arrow curving from the lower left to the upper right and what looks like a small lock.

How can I get these images back and able to be worked on?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,570 points)
    Aug 21, 2012 11:36 AM (in response to penpro)

The little icons are Badges.  Their meanings are listed on this helpful page from the User Manual.

To find out where Aperture expects an Image's Original to be located, select the Image and run "File➞Locate Referenced Files".  At the top of the dialog the path to your Image's Original is shown.  Does this path make any sense?  Can you explain why Aperture recorded this location?  (You can do this with multiple Images selected as well.)

(A little further explanation would also be helpful:  you cannot import into Folders.  You _must_ import into Projects.  What do you mean when you say "I imported a series of images into a new folder"?)

Aug 21, 2012 1:49 PM (in response to penpro)

penpro wrote:

Thanks for the list of icons, that helps a lot.

You're welcome.  The User Manual is good.  At the very least, read the first seven chapters.

Sorry it was a project not a folder. But the originals never imported. Nothing has changed in the settings. So all I have not are the thumbnails that are left.

Any way that can happen that I'm not aware of?

Well, it would be hard to say "No .  If you have an Image in your Library, the Original was imported.  "Import" means "make a record in my database (i.e.: the Library) for this item".  The Original may not have been moved (or copied) into your Library, but that is a separate issue from importing.

Have you run "File➞Locate Referenced Files"?  What did you find?

Aug 22, 2012 7:01 AM (in response to penpro)

How did you search the database?

What do you mean by "thumbnail"?

Is there a reason you have twice not answered my question:  Have you run "File➞Locate Referenced Files"?  What did you find?

• léonie Level 8 Level 8 (46,535 points)
    Aug 23, 2012 1:58 AM (in response to penpro)

I have searched the data base and the files don't exist, only the thumbnails.

penpro,

you said in your first post:

The icon that is showing is an arrow curving from the lower left to the upper right and what looks like a small lock.

/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/193/19355442-1.png if you are seeing this, then the images are not inside the Aperture database and you probably moved them to a folder ouside the Aperture library on import or left them in there original location. Now Aperture is looking for them outside the library. Please try what Kirby is urging you to do, tell us of the result, if you already tried that. "Locate Referenced files" will tell you the filenames that Aperture is searching for.

Select the images with the missing originals in the Browser and use "File > Locate Rerenced Files" and post a screenshot of what you see.

In the upper part of the panel you should see a list of files with missing masters; by selecting one of them you will see the filename in the panel to the right.

Take a note of that. Then use "Spotlight" to search for that filename.

If you can find it somewhere, navigate to this location in the lower section of the panel and maybe you can "Reconnect All".

longi.png

Regards

Léonie

• Kevin Quattro Calculating status...
    Feb 15, 2013 8:43 PM (in response to penpro)

I'm having the exact same issue and when I right click and say "Locate Referenced Files" it says there aren't any.

This happened after a TC restore. WTH?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.