Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download Mountain Lion on 10.7.4 Mac mini, why?

App Store tells me that 'We could not complete your purchase. OS X Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer.' I've already bought it on my Mac Book Pro and want to update the Mac mini. The Mac Book Pro now also gives black squares on boot up after installing ML.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 11:21 AM

Is your mini from early 2009 or newer?

Supported hardware for OS X 10.8 is: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5444

10 replies

Aug 21, 2012 11:45 AM in response to WittyID

What year/model of MBP is it? And could you post a screen shot to show what you mean (are these big blocks, or small gird-like squares?). Does it display properly once it has completed booting up?

Also, if your MBP is under warranty or you have AppleCare, you could take it in for a Genius assessment at an Apple Store. Often, graphics oddities at startup are a sign of hardware issues, not software (eg. dying graphics chipset or a logic board issue).

Aug 21, 2012 12:00 PM in response to WittyID

Are they small enough to just be single pixels? You can download some free little tools to check for dead or stuck pixels - basically just little scripts that sequentially turn your screen all black, then all white, then all red, then blue, then green (I have not used any such app in a long time, but I'm sure they are out there at macupdate or another Mac freeware/shareware apps site).

If everything else about the machine is fine, it could well be a hardware glitch (although not necessarily anything really terrible, just annoying perhaps). If so, and you are under warranty, be sure to take advantage and get it checked out. If not under warranty, and it is not getting worse and is only during boot up, then personally, I would probably not worry about it until or unless something got worse.

Can't download Mountain Lion on 10.7.4 Mac mini, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.