Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speech to Text has Stopped working on iPad 3

For the last 3 days the Speech to Text function has stopped working on iPad 3. Now, today it can only handle no more than 2 or 3 words at the most, which even then takes ages! A week ago I could dictate a paragraph in seconds!!!

What's going on Apple?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 8GB/500GB HDD/GeForce GT 330M

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 11:09 AM

7 replies

Aug 21, 2012 11:13 AM in response to StingRay67

Apple isn't here and will not answer you. I assume that the question is rhetorical.

Try rebooting the iPad or quitting all aps and restoring. Maybe it's simply a memory issue.

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

Quit the app completely and restart the iPad. Go to the home screen first by tapping the home button. Double tap the home button and the task bar will appear with all of your recent/open apps displayed at the bottom. Tap and hold down on any app icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus ➖ sign in the upper left corner of the app that you want to close. Tap the home button or anywhere above the task bar. Restart the iPad.

Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Aug 21, 2012 12:46 PM in response to Demo

Hello Demo,

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately what you have described is only the very basic steps for problem solving on iOS devices.. I of course tried these including doing a complete restore from a know working backUp. Yet still Speech to Text refuses to work.

As a result I have a strong suspicion this is not a local problem, and therefore Apple should be looking to their resources for the problem too. I will contact them in the morning.

With regard to your statement 'Apple isn't here and will not answer you', this is an Apple forum and is moderated by Apple staff! In addition Apple own the space and servers you are currently looking at! Moreover apple have many times refered to individuals here from 1st and 2nd level support, which I personally have experienced! Granted, these forums are not the recognised channels for Tech Support, but believe me, they know what's here! And yes, my original remark was rhetorical!

I will update this thread as the issues unfold, unless anyone wishes to add more info?!

Aug 21, 2012 12:57 PM in response to StingRay67

StingRay67 wrote:

Hello Demo,

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately what you have described is only the very basic steps for problem solving on iOS devices.. I of course tried these including doing a complete restore from a know working backUp. Yet still Speech to Text refuses to work.

This is one thing of which I can assure you .... Nobody here reads minds. If you don't want to share what you have tried already - then we are left to start with the most basic fixes before moving on.

With regard to your statement 'Apple isn't here and will not answer you', this is an Apple forum and is moderated by Apple staff! In addition Apple own the space and servers you are currently looking at! Moreover apple have many times refered to individuals here from 1st and 2nd level support, which I personally have experienced! Granted, these forums are not the recognised channels for Tech Support, but believe me, they know what's here! And yes, my original remark was rhetorical!

If Apple responds to you as a result of what you have posted here, I think that a lot of people would be interested to know about that.

Good luck.

Aug 21, 2012 1:03 PM in response to Demo

Hey Demo, you shouldn't take things here personally! That's the first rule!

My statement exists so I can get responses from people like yourself and/or those that have experienced similar issues.

As I have already mentioned, the initial part of the statement is rhetorical. My (Apple) tech support will come from Apple themselves over the phone. I did not think for one minute I would get an apple response here!

Relaxxxx!

Aug 21, 2012 1:16 PM in response to Demo

That's okay I never take things personally! Coincidentally in the last 15 minutes, I have noticed it has worked on sentences of a dozen or so words! I've tried to increase this but then I just get the never-ending purple circles! This just reinforces my suspicion that this is very likely to be a server/traffic type issue. I hope I'm right!

Let's see what tomorrow brings?!

Aug 24, 2012 4:46 PM in response to StingRay67

After doing absolutely everything including restoring my iPad 3 the speech to text still failed to work reliably. The following day however it was a completely different story, there was no sign of any problem and it has continued to work as usual. I am convinced this was a server problem and not a local problem.

Problem resolved without any user intervention.

Speech to Text has Stopped working on iPad 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.