Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I enable the Airplay Mirroring icon in the top menubar?

I already got a Mac Mini with OSX Mountain Lion on it and love the airplay mirror-function. So I have decided to get OSX Mountain Lion for my laptop (Macbook Pro) as well but I do not see the airplay mirror-icon in the top menubar as I do on my mini. What has gone wrong or do I have to enable it somewhere?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, OSX 10.8

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 2:08 PM

AirPlay

AirPlay Mirroring requires a second-generation Apple TV or later, and is supported on the following Mac models: iMac (Mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer).

Several Apple Articles Regarding AirPlay

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd gen)- How to use AirPlay Mirroring

How to set up and configure AirPort Express for AirPlay and iTunes

Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

Using AirPlay

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2012 2:08 PM in response to Christinaj1989

AirPlay

AirPlay Mirroring requires a second-generation Apple TV or later, and is supported on the following Mac models: iMac (Mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer).

Several Apple Articles Regarding AirPlay

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd gen)- How to use AirPlay Mirroring

How to set up and configure AirPort Express for AirPlay and iTunes

Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

Using AirPlay

Nov 20, 2012 7:32 AM in response to mr da

I had the same problem in not being able to view the airplay mirroring icon in my macbook pro top menubar. Simple solution -- 1. Open System Preferences, 2. Choose Displays, 3. in the bottom left corner of the Displays menu, choose "show mirroring options in the menu bar when available". That's it! You can then activate Airplay mirroring via the Airplay icon in the menubar or in the Displays section under System Preferences. Obviously you need to activate the Airplay option under the iTV menu in order to communicate with your Mac. Hope this helped.

Nov 23, 2012 5:17 PM in response to mtersegno

The funny thing about these discussions is that even those who are genuinely helpful, so often describe features that do not turn up on my display or appear anywhere elso on my system. I have a brand new IMac, AppleTV and a Wifi network that allows all other features of Apple TV. But as for mirroring, there is no sign of the mirroring icon on the menubar top left. Nor is there anything in the 'Display' setting about mirroring. The AirPlay option is there on the Apple TV settings and duly turned on - but nothing happens. Can anyone explain why I do not have mirroring capability?

Jan 2, 2013 7:22 AM in response to mtersegno

I have the same issue as Pseudonut. All hardware is current enough for mirroring to work, have been able to play Pandora from iPhone 4s through AppleTV- not consistetly, however.

I've purchased the upgrade Mountain Lion software on my Macbook Pro (early 2011).

I went to "displays"->"airplay mirroring"->"appletv"... my screen went blue for a few seconds and it returned w/ "no devices detected.

Now I have no ability to even select a dropbdown for "appletv".

I have 6MB service through my ISP-about 3-5 concurrent devices at any given time on my network. Should I upgrade by internet speed/service?

Jan 2, 2013 3:45 PM in response to majorpepperidge

Ok, I had this problem until 5 minutes ago. What i did:

1 - disable Wi-Fi

2 - disable Bluetooth (that's the great villain)

3 - enable Wi-Fi

4 - Icon Appears, able to conect. If you need Bluetooth, after you conected to Apple TV, you can Enable again.

On iPhone 4S are the same steps, turn off Wi-Fi, turn off bluetooth, reconect wifi, tap twice at home button, scroll to volume, and the airplay is there.

Hope I help!

Jan 2, 2013 3:46 PM in response to kenkev

Ok, I had this problem until 5 minutes ago. What i did:

1 - disable Wi-Fi

2 - disable Bluetooth (that's the great villain)

3 - enable Wi-Fi

4 - Icon Appears, able to conect. If you need Bluetooth, after you conected to Apple TV, you can Enable again.

On iPhone 4S are the same steps, turn off Wi-Fi, turn off bluetooth, reconect wifi, tap twice at home button, scroll to volume, and the airplay is there.

Hope I help!

Where do I enable the Airplay Mirroring icon in the top menubar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.