Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Places Library is blank. Can it be resurrected?

I use iPhoto 09. I had hand entered place location information for many old photos. That information had populated my Places Library. I had not checked the Places library for a while and was just looking for something and discovered a blank screen when I selected the Places Library.

Is this because of some external cause? Can I resurrect my library from a backup copy? What should I do to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks,

Joe

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 2:19 PM

6 replies

Aug 21, 2012 10:04 PM in response to LarryHN

Hi,

I have an internet connection and the look up places is set to automatically.

I have tried two other approaches;

I trashed the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file and restarted iPhoto. That did not cure the problem.

I tried restarting iPhoto with command and option pressed and then selected the "Examine and repair iPhoto Library file permissions. That also did not cure the problem.

I hope you can suggest something that will bring back the library.

I checked a number of my photos and they still seem to have the Place information I had entered.

Thanks,

Joe

Aug 22, 2012 12:02 PM in response to joegez

Go into Safari's Privacy preference file, click on the Details button next to the number of cookies stored or other data line. Once in the cookies area search for any cookie with google in the cookie name and delete them.

User uploaded file

Relaunch both Safari and iPhoto and check your Manage My Places window again. If you have any Google account online and activate them you may have to repeat the process.

OT

Aug 22, 2012 12:56 PM in response to LarryHN

I should make clear that my issue involves the Places Library. I am able to bring up the Manage My Places window by clicking on that option in the Window menu. The Manage My Places window shows the various locations that should be showing up in the Places Library.

How did you hand enter the location data?

I clicked on the i button the photo. That brought up an information dialog box for the photo. I then clicked on the place location in the dialog box, entered the place name and either selected one of my existing designated places or found a location on the map. I also had some pictures downloaded from my iphone which had associated GPS data.

Has it ever worked for these photos?

Yes.

how did you check a number of photos for this info?

I looked in my photo library and clicked on the i button of each of a number of the pictures I had entered location information for.

Thanks for your interest,

Joe

My Places Library is blank. Can it be resurrected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.