Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto not working - i get spinning rainbow wheel

My iphoto does not work.. It has suddenly stopped!

When I open iPhoto, the spinning rainbow wheel comes up, and I am unable to do anything - so I have to force quit..

I'm not sure what to do? I have the extended warranty for my laptop - it is less than 12 months old

iTunes also wont update to the latest version either.....

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Im mostly concerned about iPhoto...

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 3:41 PM

Don't know about iTunes, but iPhoto may have corruption issues with its database. See here for remedies: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638

6 replies

Feb 17, 2013 2:53 AM in response to baileymc

Hi,

I've had this issue twice now when importing photo's from my iPhone.

First time I rebuild library from backup. The backup did not contain the imported pictures so iPhoto worked fine again.

Yesterday I "retried" to import. So the problem re-occured (duh).

This time however I noticed there was an "update icon" next to places when iPhoto froze.

So I decided to disable automatic "Lookup Places". The trick however is to get into a responsive iPhoto.

For this: start iPhoto while holding the Option (or alt) key, create a new library, open iPhoto using this new library, go to Preferences, Advanced Tab, set Look up Places to " never".

Close iPhoto, open again using Option (or alt) key (because the new, empty, library has been set to default automatically), select your original library and your iPhoto should be fine again.

This did the trick for me. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

iphoto not working - i get spinning rainbow wheel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.