Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an issue with some PDF documents some MS Office documents, notably MS Word when received in eMail as attachments not displaying on iPhones, iPad 2s

Hi,

I have an issue with some PDF documents & some MS Office documents, notably MS Word when received in eMail as attachments not displaying properly on iPhones, iPad 2s & new iPads?

• PDF docs - areas of the doc only show as grey splotches regardles of viewer
  • MS Word Docs -
    • inserted graphics don't display at all,
    • tables & lists especially with borders are broken &
    • tables & lists missing the borders &
    • tables & lists missing the 1st 1-2 lines of the lists/tables.

This is replicated on iPhone 4s, iPhone 4Ss, iPad 2s, iPad new (x2)

It certainly happens in iOS 5.1.1 & iOS 5.1

We believe it all worked aok in iOS 5.0.1(?) & prior

There is no problems reading/seeing these PDF & Word docs on anything other than iDevices.

This is rather critical for us & if not quickly fixed/rectified will prevent us from further purchases of these devices 😟

Rolling back to iOS 5.0.1 or prior I believe isn't possible because of the BaseBand update(?) & isn't much of an option because of the quite noticeable Battery/Charging/WiFi improvements in 5.1 & 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 3:55 PM

4 replies

Oct 17, 2012 4:02 PM in response to admrich

Hi,

I logged a call with AppleCare & have since had explained why this occurs (some time ago)

I'll try to explain what was indicated to me.

iOS has a limited Font Set & this affects what PDFs can display. You need to use iOS supported fonts in your PDFs to see/read them properly 😟

These supported fonts are indicated here => http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4980

Regards MS office docs, iOS doesn't have much of an API to work with MS Office documents at all so is stuck with 3rd Party Apps to try to do it.

Unfortunately Mail in/on iOS uses the API to attempt to open/use MS Office attachments unless you tell it to use an App to open the attachment.

I have had success opening & reading MS office docs now with CloudOn, but find it slow & very awkward to use.

Not too sure if this helps others, but at least it explains why this is occurring 😟

I have an issue with some PDF documents some MS Office documents, notably MS Word when received in eMail as attachments not displaying on iPhones, iPad 2s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.