Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to get a row to populate from a table on another page upon searching data entered in a cell?

Hey guys,

Could do with some assistance! I would like to create a document that allows me to enter a code in the first cell and then populate e row from the information contained in a table on a second page. Is it possible to do this with Numbers?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1, Numbers

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 8:00 PM

11 replies

Aug 21, 2012 11:50 PM in response to Forbzy_

Hi Forbzy,

One name for what you're describing is a 'breakout table', and a search of the Numbers community will bring up several examples. Here's a link to one. If my post there fits what you want, you'll find a more complete description in the post linked in that one.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3804118?answerId=17857818022#17857818022

Regards,

Barry

Aug 22, 2012 12:32 AM in response to Barry

Barry,

Firstly thank you for your reply it's the 2nd time I've posted but the first reply I've received in 3 months!

I'm not entirely sure I've been very clear in the question but looking at your breakout tables I'm not sure it's giving me what I need.

Allow me to expand if you will and perhaps I may explain better.

I'm looking to find an iPad solution to going paperless at work. On occasion I deliver surgical stock to customers and need to track this. I have a list of around 700 product codes and discriptions in a Numbers table I would now like to be able to on a separate page create a document that allows for me to type in the code and auto populate the rest from the table. Is this even possible? I have a smaller version using drop down menus but typing in 700 codes and discriptions is not practicle and I'm also unsure Numbers on the iPad would allow it.

Is this clearer?

Tank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

I also wish I could capture signatures in Numbers but that I know is not possible yet.

Cheers,

John

Aug 22, 2012 1:55 AM in response to Forbzy_

HI John,

Well past midnight,and too late to deal with this in detail, so this just touches on the main points.

My expertise is with the Mac version of Numbers, as is true with most of the regulars in this community. I'm vaguely aware with some of the limitations of Numbers for iOS, but have never used it.

Retrieving a row of data from a data table and placing it onto a second table in the same document is fairly simple in Numbers using VLOOKUP. The second table may be placed on a separate Sheet, which can be printed independent of the sheet containing the main table, but the table cannot be in a separate Document (ie. a different file).

A table with 700 lines of data is doable on the Mac version of Numbers, and probably within the limits of the iOS version.

700 items on a pop-up menu seems terribly unwieldy to me. If you can accurately enter the individual codes manually, I suspect that would be speedier than using a pop-up.

I can run you through the process on the Mac version of Numbers, which may provide a workable solution for the iOS version. Any tweaking, though, would probably require avisit to the iWork for iOS community.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 22, 2012 3:01 AM in response to Barry

Barry you legend!

Thank you for replying so late! I know that Vlookup is a function in the iOS version but don't know how to set it up!

Your walk through will be a fantastic start... My limitation in using the help function of numbers iOS may just be down to terminology. It's asking me to set up = vlookup ((search-for), (columns-range), (return-column), (close-match)) I just don't know where to direct it?..

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

John

Aug 23, 2012 1:47 PM in response to Forbzy_

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay.

A VLOOKUP table is a rectangular array of cells, which may be a separate Table (preferred) or a block of cells on a larger Table. The column containing the search-for values (the codes, in your case) must be the leftmost column of the lookup table.

columns-range is the range of columns making up the lookup table. The range starts with the column containing the search-for values, and ends with the last column to the right containing data to be searched.

return-column is the column of the lookup table from which the data is to be returned. It is specified by a number. 1 is the search-for column, 2 the next column to the right, etc.

close-match determines whether the formula will accept a close match to the search term, or will accept only an exact match. A 'close match' is defined as 'the largest value less than or equal to the search-for value.'
For text values, 'less than' is read as 'alphabetically before' the search value.

Here's a small sample table set showing an example:

User uploaded file

In practice, the data table (top) would be on a separate Sheet from the smaller Search table, and that sheet's name would be included in the cell range reference shown in the formula (unless the Data table's name, "Data" was used only for this table within the document).

There's a single formula, entered in the selected cell (B2) of the Search table, then filled right and down to all cells below and to the right of B2:

B2: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A2,Data :: $A:$F,COLUMN(),FALSE)," - ")

The FALSE value for close-match means only an exact match will be accepted. If no exact match is found, as in row 4 of the search table, VLOOKUP will return an error. The error is trapped by IFERROR, and the text string shown is inserted in the cell. Note that VLOOKUP is not case sensitive.

The COLUMN() function returns the number of the column containing the formula, and provides an automatic means of incrementing the return column as the formula is filled right.

Can't supply any details on how to enter a formula in Numbers for iOS, as I've not done that on an iOS device.

Regards,

Barry

Oct 25, 2012 8:21 AM in response to Forbzy_

John,

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I have found as well (was hoping otherwise).

Here's a seemingly unrelated question (though it would still solve the same problem).

When saving a spreadsheet as a PDF (iPad version), is there any way to only save the current sheet?

ie. I could have my order page in sheet 1, product database in sheet 2 for vlookup, and then save sheet 1 only for sending within my organization.

Thanks for your help,

Eddie

Oct 25, 2012 3:15 PM in response to Forbzy_

Hey Eddie,

Sounds like you are trying to do the same thing I am hence the reason I asked this question originally!

From IOS no I have found you only have two options if you need the PDF for a signature capture application let's say!! Then you have to send the whole document. Your other option is a screen shot but you'll have limited further options from there.

If you have the time to run it back through a Mac then Jerry's solution would be the winner but I need to do this on the hoof so I currently run with the PDF whole document.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

John

Is it possible to get a row to populate from a table on another page upon searching data entered in a cell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.