Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just Won't Boot

I am having a real problem booting up my G5 Power Mac. It all started with the dreaded gray screen telling me to restart my computer. This got more and more frequent.

I did the usual repair permissions, etc. I ran AHT v. 2.5.7. First, it said I had a bad memory chip and I removed the pair. Further tests repeatedly indicated that everything was fine. Good for a few days and then it started again. Tested it again with AHT and again no problems appear. Now it won't boot from AHT, Tech Tool Pro 4, safe mode or anything else. I can see the green light on the player for a few seconds and then it goes out and nothing.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G5 Tower, 2 gig, 1Ter hard drive

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 11:33 PM

Sounds like solder issues.

Heat the logic board between and around the RAM slots with a hair dryer.

Heat until hot.

When hot, try starting.

If it starts, you have bad solder connections due to age and the early adoption of non-lead solder as dictated by RoHS.

2 replies

Sep 8, 2012 3:19 PM in response to japamac

Japamac:

Thank you very much for your reply. Tried it and it didn't work. Took machine to a repair shop. They said it was a virus and wiped the disk. Two days later I got a kernal panic and now won't boot normally again. Cannot zap PRAM or start in safe mode. Will now start from a disc. Ran AHT 2.5.7 for 10 hours and no problems. I was able to start in single and Verbose modes. Got the same message from both. Here it is:

Darwin Kernal Version 9.0.0; 9 21:37:58 PDT 2007; root:XNU-1228~1/RELEASE_PPC

Standard time slicing quantum is 10000 us

vm_page_bootstrap: 508972 free pages and 15316 wired pages.

mig_tablemax_displ = 79

Extension "com.Apple.driver.AppleMaacRISCHPE" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernal and com.kernal.kpi components; use only one style.

14APPLEMacRiscHT is not compatible with its super class, 11IOPCIBridge superclass changed?

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.applemacriscPCI

Couldn't alloc class "AppleMacRiscPI"

14APPLEMacRiscHT is not compatible with its super class, 11IOPCIBridge superclass changed?

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleMacRiscPCI.

Couldn't alloc class "AppleMacRiscAgP"

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.Apple.driver.AppleMacRiscPCI

Couldn't alloc class "AppleMacRiscHT"

Loading security extension com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall

Loading security extension com.apple.security.tm safetynet

calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet

Security policy loaded: safetynet for Time Machine (TM SafetyNet)

Loading security extension com.apple.security.seatbelt

Calling mpo_policy_init for mb

Seatbelt MACF policy initialized

Security policy loaded: seatbelt policy (mb)

Copyright (c) 1982, 86, 89, 91, 93

The Regents of the University of California

Mac Framework sucessfully initialized

Using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleMacRiscPCI

Couldn't alloc class "AppleDART"

Apple platform Expert::get GMT Time of Day can not provide time of day RTC did not show up.

If it is a solder issue, can you melt the solder connections on the back of the board, with a soldering iron?

Is there anything to be done here or should I just try to bake the logic board in the oven and hope for the best? :-)

Thanking you in advance.

Just Won't Boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.