Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard settings not saving

User uploaded file

After a recent update to 10.8 I have been unable to set either the "Adjust keyboard brightness in low light" or "Turn off when computer is not used for:" options under keyboard settings. The check box and sliders are usable however after closing System Preferences any changes I have made dissapear. Any ideas?

Hardware Info:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B06

SMC Version (system): 2.2f38

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad:

Product ID: 0x0252

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 2.19

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 1:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 1:17 AM

Welcome to Apple Communities

Open Finder, press Option key, select Go > Library, open Preferences and delete com.apple.systempreferences.plist

22 replies

Aug 22, 2012 3:19 PM in response to mende1

Well, just finished the re-install with a fresh download, no chage. still having the same problem. Additionaly I also discovered that the same thing is happening with the "Automatically adjust screen brightness" option under display. I guess I'll be taking it into a store tomorow, see if maybe its actually a hardware issue. Maybe the sensor isnt being recognized so the settings are not editable?

Aug 26, 2012 6:25 PM in response to evilxsist

I have exactly the same problem and it's confused me since I upgraded my system to Mountain Lion. I once phoned Apple customer service but they didn't have any clue either. I was really disappointed by them.

Now, I think I found the root cause: it's due to the case-sensitive filesystem. I used to configuring my hard drive as a case-sensitive filesystem. However, after installing OS X 10.8 on an external USB hard drive with being formated as a case-insensitive filesystem and booting from it, all the problems simply disappeared. I also found some logs on the Console:

27/08/12 8:55:07.467 AM System Preferences[296]: Unable to open IOHIDSystem (e00002bd)

27/08/12 8:55:07.000 AM kernel[0]: virtual bool IOHIDEventSystemUserClient::initWithTask(task_t, void *, UInt32): Client task not privileged to open IOHIDSystem for mapping memory (e00002c1)

27/08/12 8:55:07.468 AM System Preferences[296]: ASSERTION FAILED: gALSPlugin != ((void*)0) copyPreferenceForKey line: 230

27/08/12 8:55:07.468 AM System Preferences[296]: ASSERTION FAILED: gALSPlugin != ((void*)0) copyPreferenceForKey line: 230

Let's hope Apple fix this soon...

Aug 27, 2012 4:10 AM in response to Christopher C. S. Ke

I have the same problem - automatic screen brightness and keyboard brightness are both broken since I installed mountain lion. And I also use a case sensitive filesystem. I just updated to 10.8.1 and there is no improvement.

Nov 22, 2012 3:52 PM in response to Tae Won

If you can't wait for Apple to fix this, you could try reformating your system drive to case-insenstive HFS+ and restoring your ML install from backup. That fixed it for me. If you store your data on your system drive, check your files still have unique case-insenstive names first though.

Keyboard settings not saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.