Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac running very hot

My iMac is runinng very hot. I have downloadet a Temp software, and pasted my data below in F and in C. There is NO other software than Safari running right now, while I was running iTues it was even hotter

Best Regards

Kurt

Ambient Air: 91℉

CPU A Heatsink: 131℉

CPU A Proximity: 136℉

Display Screen Proximity: 118℉

Graphics Processor Heatsink 1: 129℉

Graphics Processor Temperature Diode: 131℉

Main Logic Board: 138℉

Optical Drive: 120℉

Power Supply Position 2: 169℉

Primary Heatsink: 149℉

SMART Disk WDC WD5000AAKS-402AA0 (WD-WCAWFD809344): 133℉

Secondary Heatsink: 190℉

CPU Core 1: 136℉

CPU Core 2: 133℉

CPU Core 3: 138℉

CPU Core 4: 129℉

Ambient Air: 33℃

CPU A Heatsink: 54℃

CPU A Proximity: 57℃

Display Screen Proximity: 48℃

Graphics Processor Heatsink 1: 54℃

Graphics Processor Temperature Diode: 56℃

Main Logic Board: 59℃

Optical Drive: 49℃

Power Supply Position 2: 75℃

Primary Heatsink: 65℃

SMART Disk WDC WD5000AAKS-402AA0 (WD-WCAWFD809344): 55℃

Secondary Heatsink: 87℃

CPU Core 1: 56℃

CPU Core 2: 55℃

CPU Core 3: 57℃

CPU Core 4: 53℃

iPad 2, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 2:15 AM

35 replies

Aug 22, 2012 6:12 AM in response to Kutten1303

Can't hurt to try an SMC Reset. Pay attention to the timing in the instructions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Might also run the Hardware Test in Extended.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Not all that good at picking up errors, but if it finds one it can be trusted.

Also, with the computer shut down or sleeping, vacuum the lower intake grille which runs along the bottom, where the speakers are located, and the one behind the stand; this is where dust accumulates. Heavy dust buildup might be a cause. Get iStat Pro. What are the fan speeds?

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Aug 22, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Kutten1303

Your Ambient Air temp shows summer heat may be an issue here as they seem to be engineering their newer units to be running in climate controlled environments (68-72 F) With the intake air 20 degs warmer than they expect the system will naturally run hotter. More air movement can help (a small fan blowing on the rear of the unit)

Aug 22, 2012 8:17 AM in response to WZZZ

Hi

Thanks for your help everybody ;)

Tried the SMS thing, but bcs I always turn of the power over night, I think I reset it every day. Nothing happened

The hardware test I cannot run, nothing happens when I hit the D during startup

Now doing a full back up with Time Machine. Before I used SuperDuper, but I think and hope that TM is easier if I have to restore something

Ps The back of my Mac during this backup is HOT, to hot to put my hand on it, I stat says:

HD: 51

PSU: 74

All Celsius

Best Kurt

Aug 22, 2012 8:25 AM in response to Kutten1303

In order for the SMC Reset to work the unit needs to be unplugged not just turned off. Then when the power is restored the time interval between the restoration of power and turning the unit on creates the reset. It is not just a matter of turning it on. Any self powered accessory needs to be disconnected.

Aug 22, 2012 8:50 AM in response to Kutten1303

If something, say the USB power, wasn't working and you do a SMC reset and it restores the power then you have a positive indication of a proper reset. Apple lists general, non specific, areas affected by the reset. I personally wish there were a LED indicator in the RAM bay to signal failure/success.

Aug 22, 2012 4:28 PM in response to baltwo

Baltwo, FYI, the upper temp limit for most drives is 55C. Yours, at 58C, won't last very long like that. Even prolonged upper 40s, long term, isn't that healthy. And the OP's power supply was running very hot at 75C, not your relatively cool 58C.

Saying don't worry until the temps approach 100C is just plain insane.

Further reading on drive temps.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/12/hard-drive-temperatures-be-afraid.html

Aug 22, 2012 6:13 PM in response to WZZZ

Thanks for your concern. Then, I erred WRT to the int HD at 100°C. However, I just DL'd the Seagate manual and it shows:

Ambient temperature is defined as the temperature of the environment immediately surrounding the drive.

Actual drive case temperature should not exceed 69°C (156°F) within the operating ambient conditions.

Operating: 0° to 60°C (32° to 140°F)

Nonoperating: –40° to 70°C (–40° to 158°F)

When the original was replace under the iMac HD replacement program, the techs were satisfied that the temp was OK. Still have 11°C to go, since the temp sensor is on the drive case.😉

iMac running very hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.