Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restored iTunes folder from Time Machine, get error iTunes Library Extras.itdb file

I restored my iTunes folder from a Time Machine backup (due to my kids deleting some playlists, which I wanted to recover).

After that completed, I am unable to open iTunes, I get the error: "The iTunes Library Extras.itdb file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission."

Now, when I was doing the restore, it paused twice to tell me something like: a particular song could not be transferred, since there was already a copy of it with the same name... and something about it being case insensitive. I selected OK each time that happened, made a note of the song thinking oh well I can just get a copy of that song again if I lose it.

Any ideas? I looked at permissions for the iTunes folder, I have read and write permission.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 5:40 AM

Hmm, the obvious things would be to reboot your system, then check/correct/repair permissions. Assuming you've tried without success. I believe you should be able to delete either of the .itdb files without causing problems. iTunes will rebuild them if they are missing.

tt2

5 replies

Aug 23, 2012 11:03 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris, thanks for that suggestion. I would still like for my kids to access my iTunes music, but just don't want them to mess with the playlists etc.

If I set up another account, then follow the instructions here -> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1203

... to share the library with them, I'm guessing that they could still make changes to the playlists etc? (it doesn't specify in that article.)

Sep 25, 2013 2:11 PM in response to JDfunky

I had the same issue, but wasn't able to delete the itdb files. The answer was that they were "in use".

So I renamed them, relaunched iTunes and voila... my itunes was back!

Still have not been able to delete the old itdb files though, but will try again after rebooting everything as I have my whole itunes library on a NAS server

Restored iTunes folder from Time Machine, get error iTunes Library Extras.itdb file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.