Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use AP Express while my TC is being repaired

I have a Time Capsule (Mk 1) network with an Apple Express MB321LL/A extension. But now the Time Capsule 500GB HD has failed and I need to take it to then nearest Apple Store (50 miles away) for HD replacement. When I disconnect Time Capsule, I lose the network. What do I have to do to be able to run a network from the Apple Express alone while the TC is in the shop?

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 6:05 AM

Connect the AE to the modem by the cable that was in the TC. Configure the AE as AccessPoint.

4 replies

Aug 22, 2012 6:09 AM in response to John Bevan

If you had the Time Capsule previously configured to provide your wireless network, and you want the Express to take over those duties......

Perform a Hard Reset by holding in the reset button on the Express for 9-10 seconds

Give it 40-45 seconds to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Power it off

Connect the Express to your modem

Open AirPort Utility and configure the Express to "create a wireless network"

You can assign the same wireless network name and password that you used before if you wish

Then, when you get the Time Capsule back, you will need to perform a Hard Reset again, and then configure it to "Extend a wireless network"

Aug 22, 2012 6:23 AM in response to John Bevan

I suppose that means that I'll be setting up a new network with it's own name and PW.

If you review my post, you will see that I said that you can assign the same wireless network name and password that you used before if you wish. Or, you could assign a new name and password if you wish.

And when I get the TC back, will it have forgotten the original network

That depends on what repairs are needed to your TC. If only the hard drive is replaced, then the TC will remember its previous settings. If other repairs are involved, you should expect to have to reconfigure the TC again, just as you did when it was new.

How to use AP Express while my TC is being repaired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.