Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an external hard drive which keeps unmounting itself. How do I stop this.

It is a WD "My Passport". It is brand new. I plug it in and it mounts straight away.

I connect it to the Time MAchine and it starts copying OK and then after a few minutes, for no apperent reason it shuts down.

I have taken the drive into the PC World shop and they treid it on their Mac (similar model to mine) and after 20 minutes steady copying of the data, they showed it worked fine. It seems as if there is a switch which turns it off in software but I have no idea where to find it. Any help appreciated.

iMac, iOS 5, 27" iMac

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 10:23 AM

20 replies

Aug 22, 2012 2:10 PM in response to baltwo

I did install their Smartware (not so Smart in my view) but I have now removed it completely and just trying to run Time Machine.

I am running OS 10.7.4 on an iMac 27" 3.06 GHz. I have tried several USB ports in the back of the iMac incase one was faulty. Same results

I have turned the energy savers off.

Connected with the USB cable that comes with the WD drive . It is a USB 3.0 compatible with USB 2.0 cable.

I cannot seem to find any way to mount the "My Passport" volume when it has apparently tuned itself off.

I just Mounted it by unplugging and re plugging it in and it only stayed mounted for 1 minute.

Aug 22, 2012 2:50 PM in response to Raltham

Raltham wrote:

No firewire available on the WD drive, only the USB 3.0

AFAIK, USB 3.0 isn't compatible with iMacs USB 2.0 ports, no matter which cable you use. I suggest returning it and getting one that has an FW 800 connection, which is supported by your machine. For other details, see http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thunderbolt-performance-z77a-gd80,3205-2.htm l

I have an external hard drive which keeps unmounting itself. How do I stop this.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.