Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Microphone Not Working?

My sister recently received the new iPad (third generation) as a gift, but neither of us can get the microphone working. Dictation is activated and working. It appears to be recording properly but doesn't actually record anything besides static, if it records anything at all. We've downloaded various voice memo apps and tried FaceTime to try and get it working but still nothing. When something is recording, this is what happens:

It records. It looks like its recording, and it appears to be recording. When I PLAYBACK, however, all that can be heard is static. Occasionally what we tried to record can be heard faintly in the background. I know for certain that the iPad is the problem, not the app. We've tried shouting, whispering, talking right into the microphone, all to no avail.

When we tried FaceTiming, my sister could hear me but I couldn't hear her at all. My device was completely silent but the volume was turned up to maximum power. We also recorded a video on the iPad, same result as FaceTime.

If anyone knows of a way to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. I am also more than willing to provide more details if needed.

iPad

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 11:15 AM

10 replies

Aug 22, 2012 11:18 AM in response to Knyfe

The Apple Support Communities are an international user to user technical support forum. As a man from Mexico, Spanish is my native tongue. I do not speak English very well, however, I do write in English with the aid of the Mac OS X spelling and grammar checks. I also live in a culture perhaps very very different from your own. When offering advice in the ASC, my comments are not meant to be anything more than helpful and certainly not to be taken as insults.

Try a reset. Press & hold the Power and Home buttons simultaneously, ignoring the red power off slider, until the Apple logo appears. Then release both buttons. This should not affect any content on the iPad, it is similar to rebooting your computer.

It that does not help, restore the iPad to the factory settings and set it up as a new device again.

Jan 21, 2013 7:53 PM in response to shazyee

Honestly sounds bizaare but put a vucuum cleaner over the two mics, 1 tiny hole top middle centre edge , and the other 1 I beleive is bacically over the camera( i cant actually see that one as it is indented). vacuum cleaner worked a treat!!!!!! It took 2 goes1 with a weak hotel vacuum and then my vacuum at home,it now sounds is as good as new-the mic did not last for long after apple care ran out.....another shocking surprise!

I wasted 2 hours and money going too the Mac store in NYC, got told my options were , have it fixed for 250 USD or buy a new one for 508 ,I asked the guy about the vacuum trick, he said I could try that( but kind of dismissive!) After the outrageous quotes, I tried my vacuum on my return back too hk......... i`m honestly extremely disgusted by this wasteful apple attitude......JUST BUY A NEW ONE

I`m very pleased with the vacuum trick, good on whoever thought this one up, I`m very disgusted by the wasteful and disinterested response at the 24 hour apple store in NYC.

Jan 24, 2013 2:49 PM in response to Knyfe

Okay- I never have posted on this sort of forum before, but today warrants it!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you Ratooof and whomever's original idea it was to vacuum over the microphone spots. BRILLIANT!!! I've been unable to use my Ipad's video and facetime features because I didn't have any sound. I was so scared that I would have to take it in and either spend a fortune to get it fixed or worse case scenario they say it's done for and have to buy a new one. THE VACUUM WORKS PEOPLE!!! HURRAY! THANK YOU a million times over!

Oct 27, 2013 8:47 AM in response to bativus

I second that!! The Mic on my ipad 2 hasn't worked for at least a year and I'd long since given up on it. Decided to have a look in the forums one last time and stumbled across the "vacuum trick". It worked!!!! Records sounds clear as a bell now. There is a down side for me though..I can't use the "my Ipad mic doesn't work so I need a new one" excuse to upgrade 😉

Here's my technique: I used the thin (crevasse) attachment and positioned it over the mic hole. I used my fingers to create a tight seal for about 30 seconds or so. Worked like a champ.

Nov 27, 2013 2:26 PM in response to Knyfe

I've seen a lot of complaints on apps that the microphone stops working after an update (either the OS or an individual app). I had this happen and it was extremely annoying. After many hours of research, I discovered the Privacy setting for the microphone. Look at Settings > Privacy > Microphone. You'll probably find that it is disabled.

The vacuum trick probably isn't the answer in most cases, but it might be worth trying if the Privacy setting is not disabled.

iPad Microphone Not Working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.