Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it so impossible to get order history behond 18 months

Today I was rebuilding my winows 7 system on my Mac Pro. I downloaded Quicktime and was going to enter my Qucktime Pro key purchaced several years ago. Thought I had saved from an email or on file and could nof find it.

Apple has a ULR you can use to do, or least they use to for such a purpose. . .Stange they have not removed it since it is now longer valid?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2240 says to go to your account and "Click "Downloadable Software Purchases". There now is no such link and you will find that is now impossible for you or ANYONE from apple support to access any of you order history beyonds 18 months.

First I chated support who finally provided me a phone number to call for this specific question. I called this number and was on hold for over 30 minutes only to find I was sent to the wrong support number. After serveral more transfers and another 30 minutes of time, I was informed by a supervisor that retreivial of this key was not possible and that if I wanted to use QuickTime Pro, I would need to purchace another key for $30.

I founnd this unbelievable! Unless support for a product is fomally disconintued, records regarding its purchace should be make avaialbe to the purchacaser and support, otherwise this is breach of contract in my opion! I Waht is so hard to understand is that apple's unlimited cash and such expetiese at storage of huge quanites of data such as that for the iClould, that they would has such a limitation in place do to cost or avaialbe stoage capacity.

I have been a long time fan of Apple since the mac plus had gotton many, many friends, co-workers and relative to switch from PC to Mac. In light of what I expereinced today, I will most likely never buy an Apple hardware or software product ever again, and certainally will never recommend they swith to apple ever again.

I plan to take apple to small claims court over this issue if not resolved just so others will not be abused buy such a stupid policy. Currenlty there is no such waring on the apple store should you lose a puchased key.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 7:37 PM

1 reply

Aug 23, 2012 6:41 AM in response to Brad Hyman

First I chated support who finally provided me a phone number to call for this specific question. I called this number and was on hold for over 30 minutes only to find I was sent to the wrong support number. After serveral more transfers and another 30 minutes of time, I was informed by a supervisor that retreivial of this key was not possible and that if I wanted to use QuickTime Pro, I would need to purchace another key for $30.

There are numerous posts on this subject in the Apple discussions, many replies stated the procedure now is to telephone Apple support for a replacement registration code. Your update about Apple telephone Support being unable to provide a registration code is new and informative and a warning for us all.

I founnd this unbelievable! Unless support for a product is fomally disconintued, records regarding its purchace should be make avaialbe to the purchacaser and support, otherwise this is breach of contract in my opion! I Waht is so hard to understand is that apple's unlimited cash and such expetiese at storage of huge quanites of data such as that for the iClould, that they would has such a limitation in place do to cost or avaialbe stoage capacity.

I understand how frustrating and inconvenient losing codes can be, been there done that!

Unfortunately this was my own fault and I had to pay for the privilege of obtaining a replacement.

None of applications I own from both Apple and third party suppliers state they will provide purchasing or registration codes in the future. In fact they specifically inform me to print out, copy and store in a safe place the codes for future use.

I therefore don't understand how this is this breach of contract, Apple provided you with a licence and a registration code, so what did Apple not supply that was purchased by you?

There is nothing in the purchase document that states Apple will provide an ongoing retrieval service for registration code.

Waht is so hard to understand is that apple's unlimited cash and such expetiese at storage of huge quanites of data such as that for the iClould, that they would has such a limitation in place do to cost or avaialbe stoage capacity.

Very good point, its just unfortunate they don't supply information on any other past purchases beyond 18 months now, this is in agreement with the Apple App store.

In light of what I expereinced today, I will most likely never buy an Apple hardware or software product ever again, and certainally will never recommend they swith to apple ever again.

That is a pity, but that's your decision, its just like I don't frequent shops where the staff drop my sales receipt in the paper bag and expect me to find it and they get annoyed when I ask where my receipt is.

I plan to take apple to small claims court over this issue if not resolved just so others will not be abused buy such a stupid policy. Currenlty there is no such waring on the apple store should you lose a puchased key.

Well good luck with that but as you say its Apple's policy and you abide by it when you purchase.

In my confirming email Apple suggest that a backup of the code should be made, its also common sense to keep receipts and proof of purchase for any item from anyone.!

regards G

Why is it so impossible to get order history behond 18 months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.