Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless Vs Ethernet

Right now I am using my Imac wireless on my home network. What I would like to do is try and connect my computer to the router with an ethernet cable. Two things I am not sure of, first is the correct cable to get a ethernet cable Cat5 or 5E patch not crossover and two, can I just connect it to the router and Imac and will it automatically switch from WiFi to Cable, or do I have to change a setting on either the Mac or router ?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 8:06 PM

8 replies

Aug 22, 2012 8:28 PM in response to grandpamike

… do I have to change a setting on either the Mac or router ?

The Mac constantly, exhaustively, relentlessly searches for an Internet connection from any of its available ports, unless you changed its network preferences.

To give preference to a wired connection, go to System Preferences > Network, click the "gear" icon and select "Set Service Order..." from the popup menu:

User uploaded file

Then, drag Ethernet anywhere before Wi-Fi appears in the list:

User uploaded file

OK, Apply, and then you can quit System Preferences.

This way, if you have a wired connection (which may be more reliable than wireless), the Mac will use it, and you can still leave Wi-Fi enabled - for AirDrop, for example.

Wireless Vs Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.