Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The document “*.pages-tef” could not be opened.

Hi everyone, having some difficulty getting Pages, Mountain Lion and iCloud to work for me.

I created a Pages document on my iMac (with OS X 10.8) called 'Test blank document'. It is automatically created in iCloud.

I closed the document. Then and tried to open it on the same iMac, (through the Open menu, iCloud file viewer). However, I got the message 'The document “Test blank document.pages-tef” could not be opened.'

The same document appeared on Pages on my iPad. When I opened it it asks me if I want to Open Copy or Open directly (because the document may look different on an iOS device than on an iMac). I chose Open. I edited it by typing in the word 'test'. I effectively closed the document by going back to the Documents viewer in Pages.

I attempted to open the document in Pages on my iMac again. In the iCloud viewer the thumbnail of the file has been updated with the edit from the iPad. However, when I attempt to open it on my iMac, I get the same message: 'The document “Test blank document.pages-tef” could not be opened.'

I can use iWork.com to download the document to my iMac and it opens just fine. Just like the old way.

I can confirm that I have OS X Mountain Lion installed.

I am using Pages version 4.2 (1008). Neither Software Update nor App Store Update have an updated version of Pages apparently.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 2008 | 4GB | 2.8GHz

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 10:09 PM

Hi everyone, have found a resolution.

Thanks to the post from Fred Ochs: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4140963

The Mobile Documents folder on my iMac was corrupted. To resolve I did the following:

1. Moved the folder Library > Mobile Documents to the desktop (access 'Library' by holding the option key down while accessing Finder's 'Go' menu)
  2. Go to iCloud settings in System Preferences, uncheck and recheck Documents & Data for your iCloud account.

Cheers.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2012 10:09 PM in response to deantmenzel

Hi everyone, have found a resolution.

Thanks to the post from Fred Ochs: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4140963

The Mobile Documents folder on my iMac was corrupted. To resolve I did the following:

1. Moved the folder Library > Mobile Documents to the desktop (access 'Library' by holding the option key down while accessing Finder's 'Go' menu)
  2. Go to iCloud settings in System Preferences, uncheck and recheck Documents & Data for your iCloud account.

Cheers.

Oct 14, 2012 4:39 AM in response to deantmenzel

Ich hatte ein ähnliches problem:

Beim speichern eines Dokuments kam immer diese Fehlermedung.

Ich konnte leider den Ordner nicht finden bis ich Finder öffnete > Gehe zu > Gehe zum Ordner...

und dann das hier eingab:

~/Library/Mobile Documents

Danach hat er sofort den Ordner geöffnet und ich konnte ihn auf den Desktop kopieren.

Danach habe ich das gleiche gemacht wie der Kolege oben:

Einstellungen > iCloud > Den haken bei Dokumente und Daten weg und wieder hin

Fertig (Cheers)

In English:

Open Finder > "Go" > I don't know what it's in english but it means "open Folder..."

and then put in this:

~/Library/Mobile Documents

Done (Cheers)

http://blog.justus-beyer.de/2012/02/mac-os-x-lion-10-7-3-doesnt-sync-mobile-docu ments/

Dec 10, 2012 3:39 PM in response to deantmenzel

I was having a similar issue where my pages documents saved into iCloud cannot be opened. I followed these directions and then moved a bunch of documents back into iCloud thinking everything would be fine. I also uninstalled and re-installed Pages from the App store.

It has been maybe 6 months and it has happened again. I cannot open several of my iCloud documents. This time when I copied the "mobile documents" folder, I received and error: " 'example file name' cannot be converted. Please install a newer version of iWork."

I am running 10.8.2, Pages 4.3, Numbers 2.2, Keynote 5.2. I just noticed an update for Numbers and Keynote. I will install those.

Here are the errors from the console when trying to open a pages document:

12/10/12 5:14:30.508 PM com.apple.iwork.PagesConverterXPC[28942]: *** Error: -[TSPObjectContext _initWithPath:isNew:emigrationDestinationContext:rootClass:errorDelegate:] TSPObjectContext.mm:1233 Couldn't create object context at path (/var/folders/8t/g3mrj38900x7p5y1c4kg8dph0000gp/T/com.apple.iwork.PagesConverte r_28942__376874070_8/VOG DB contest.pages-tef). Error: Error Domain=com.apple.iWork.TSPersistence Code=6 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.iWork.TSPersistence error 6.)"

Errors when I try to copy the the "mobile documents" folder:

12/10/12 5:38:01.197 PM com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32[31538]: *** Error: -[TSPObjectContext _initializeDatabaseDirectory:isNew:error:] TSPObjectContext.mm:1176 No index.db found in path: /var/folders/8t/g3mrj38900x7p5y1c4kg8dph0000gp/T/com.apple.iwork.cirrus.convert er/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32_31538__376875481_24/SJ M Domain Names.numbers-tef/index.db

12/10/12 5:38:01.198 PM com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32[31538]: *** Assertion failure: -[TSCirrusErrorDelegate persistenceError:] TSCirrusExporter.mm:532 TSP encountered error: Error Domain=com.apple.iWork.TSPersistence Code=6 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.iWork.TSPersistence error 6.)"

12/10/12 5:38:01.198 PM com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32[31538]: *** Error: -[TSPObjectContext _initWithPath:isNew:emigrationDestinationContext:rootClass:errorDelegate:] TSPObjectContext.mm:1129 Couldn't create object context at path (/var/folders/8t/g3mrj38900x7p5y1c4kg8dph0000gp/T/com.apple.iwork.cirrus.conver ter/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32_31538__376875481_24/S JM Domain Names.numbers-tef). Error: Error Domain=com.apple.iWork.TSPersistence Code=6 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.iWork.TSPersistence error 6.)"

12/10/12 5:38:01.199 PM com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32[31538]: *** Assertion failure: int CirrusConvertDocument(NSString *, NSString *, NSString *, Class, int (^)(double)) TSCirrusExporter.mm:451 Caught exception reading or exporting: Failed to create document controller

Nov 3, 2013 12:55 PM in response to deantmenzel

Thank you thank you thank you. Thank you. I thought these files were forever corrupted. I am so glad I didn't delete them. I knew someday that they might wake, like Walt Disney's frozen body, when the technology to cure what had ailed them was created. Thank goodness for this and timemachine. And Apple, please correct this. This is career changing work for some people and not being able to trust the cloud these days is unacceptable. When was the last time you worried that your emails might vanish?

Aug 12, 2014 9:50 AM in response to deantmenzel

Thanks for this post, it just solved my problems too! I had Numbers documents and RTF files which couldn't be opened. I did discover though that if you drag them from the "Open Document" window onto the desktop this moves them out of the cloud and they can now be opened locally. Having said that the problem has gone now be removing the Mobile Documents folder from Library and unchecking/checking the 'Docs n Data' setting in the iCloud preferences section.

The document “*.pages-tef” could not be opened.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.