Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White screen cannot boot up

I have a 15 month old 13" mac book pro. It is bootcamped to also work with Windows 7. Upon starting I get the apple logo on a white screen.It will not boot. I've tried using the SMC reset, the PRAM reset but no joy. Holding down the control key does not reveal any drives other than the internet. When connected to the internet an error message come on. I've inserted the install DVD and tried to back up from time machine but it cannot find a destination drive. Also when tryinmg to install SL it cannot find a destination drive. I've even removed the hard disk to see if that makes any difference - it does not.

Does this mean my HD is fried? Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 4:51 AM

14 replies

Aug 23, 2012 5:00 AM in response to Degsie

It is the Option key not the control key.

Try holding down the Option key and see if you get the screen that lists both the Macintosh HD and your Windows partition to select from.

Yes your drive could be bad. Drives last as long as they last. There is no Set Time to when they will fail, but they will always fail. That is the nature of the beast.

Aug 23, 2012 5:36 AM in response to Degsie

Then the internal drive is bad and the system can't read from it.

But it may not be the drive as there have been many reports of the cable that goes from the drive to the logic board going bad. The only way to tell if it is the drive or the cable is to remove the drive from the system and connect it to the system with a SATA to USB adapter and then do the same Option key boot and see if the drive is seen when connected to the system by USB port. If it isn't then the drive is bad and you need a new one.

Aug 23, 2012 6:24 AM in response to Shootist007

I do not see the TM drive, only internet and the DVD drive (install disk inside - won't eject), however the TM does show up when looking to back up when going through install.

I don't know if TM was created with Lion (I thought I was running leopard) or not. How can I tell? I have another mac book pro that is working fine. Can I create something on my external HD using the other mac book and then see if it registers?

White screen cannot boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.