Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software update asks if I want to download 10.8 again?

Okay, so I open Softawre Update, and I see two entries in the Updates tab: Software Update (7MB to get 10.8.1) Restart Required and OS X Mountain Lion version 10.8.1. I hit Update All and a pop up askes me if I want to download Mountain LIon and it says (twice) in that popup OS X 10.8 is already installed on your computer. Are you sure you want to download it? So I hit continue. It downloaded Softawre Update, not 10.8, and didn't restart. Not sure what's going on? This new style of updating system software is weird, anyone else have this issue?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, SSD, external display, Apple Remote

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 9:51 AM

17 replies

Aug 23, 2012 10:39 AM in response to mende1

Same thing happened to me. I was given two choices, upgrade or install. I chose the upgrade. The delta upgrade to 10.8.1 went smoothly but the 1 Update Available remained on the App Store. I actually went through the entire 4.34 GB download, which DID replace one of two backup copies on one of my other internal hard drives. The Mountain Lion installer started, which I then quit, thinking I really don't want to do another complete install. The 1 Update Available notice, which had gone away while downloading, is now back again. Back to square one... Apple has a bug on its hands to fix. This appears to be a fairly widespread issue.

Aug 26, 2012 10:25 AM in response to stevesol

I started downloading the 4GB update, and then I paused it and exed it out to delete it from Launchpad. The installer still seems intact on my external hard drive (unless that's a different copy, but I don't think so), and the update isn't showing up in Software Update anymore.

So it looks like things are ok for me now, but still a bug Apple should address.

Aug 26, 2012 10:35 AM in response to Mac OS XP

I found the solution through another message thread. If you have ANY copies of the original Mountain Lion installer app on ANY drive attached to your computer, the App Store will try to update it to the current version. You have to either let it update the old installer file or delete it or the App Store application will continue to insist that you have an available update.

Mar 25, 2013 11:06 PM in response to stevesol

Well that's ridiculous. I'm perfectly content leaving the installer at the deprecated version, and doing software update after I install. Software update isn't 4 gig.

What's not cool is asking me to do IMMENSE downloads for no good reason. Those suck resources from other stuff, and sometimes make your ISP throttle you.

I assume it searches all your hard drives to find the installer? Will hiding it in a ZIP file prevent it from being found?

Software update asks if I want to download 10.8 again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.