Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag & Drop Issues 10.8.1

I just installed the update to Mountain Lion (10.8.1) and dragging and dropping files isn't working so well. I can click on a file and drag it, however when I let go of the mouse button the file does not get released (or dropped). This happens with both the built in trackpad on my 15" Macbook Pro (2008) and my Bluetooth Magic Mouse. Anybody else having this problem?

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 10:14 AM

10 replies

Aug 23, 2012 5:00 PM in response to musicman88

I've also done the same, "Disk Utility and repair permissions" but no luck at all. Went into settings, "Accessibility" "Track Pad Options," and nothing has worked. (Macbook Pro, 2009). This was all after the "Mountain Lion (10.8.1)" update. Driving me crazy.

I found that I can click on most items and drag, I just can't drop it, after I drag it. Need to press the "esc" key, then click to drop it but it only goes back to its original place. Anyone?

Nov 28, 2012 2:33 AM in response to musicman88

I have a drag and drop issue (since upgrading to mountain lion) where when dragging and dropping the mouse will let go of the files before I have let go of the mouse. This leads to chaos as files get dropped and I dont quite know where they go. The issue existsin photoshop and dreamweaver (my main apps) its been really damaging to my productivity and is pretty infuriating (with photosp and dangerous in dreamweaver with ftp) as you can imagine.

The issue is intermittent, so I was convinced there must be some process that is running which is soaking up the resources, so I used activity monitor but the issue was apparent even when the processes were running normally - at least nothing looked like it was giving the processor a hard time (as far as I can tell).

Am I on my own with this one?

Jan 5, 2013 9:03 AM in response to musicman88

Hello guys, I have the same problem with my MBP retina updated to 10.8.2. It happen with the trackpad or with the Magic mouse, or with my logitech. The only way I found to solve this is to close the computer (close the screen to put it in sleep mode) and re open it then. It may take some time for the computer to wake up, but this solution avoid a restart, even if it's quick on the retina 😉

Drag & Drop Issues 10.8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.