Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook dead after update to 10.8.1

Hi 🙂

My config: MacBook 6,1 with OS X: 10.8.0 - Language: German. The installations is fresh and only a few days old....

Today, I've notived that 10.8.1 is available, so I've decided to install it with the following procedure:

• Hit 'Update' in Mac AppStore
  • Shutdown MacBook over Shutdown-window
  • MB asked to install update before shut down, I've hit Install & Shutdown
  • MacBook updated OSX and turned off.

I've booted it up:

• boot-time was extremely long! The Apple icon and loading image remained very long and the cpu-cooler started with high-speed :/
  • After a few minutes, the Weclome screen appears (??!!??) (the screen with first-time setup) and asked me to enter a AppleId to continue. At this point both, the mouse and keyboard are disabled!
  • I was forced to hard-reset my MacBook 😟

After the next boot, the Mac remaining on the Apple-Screen with loading-image, cpu-cooler at high-speed.

Now, I've tried to got into the Service-partition (CMD+R) bt the Mac remain on the Loading-screen, too.

Iam only able to boot into my BootCamp partition.

With these facts, it seems, that the update crashed my installation.

I backup all my data now, but I want to know if someone else have this issue? Maybe some hint to get the system woking again?

Some ideas?!

Thanks!

MacBook6,1 (13-inch), Mac OS X (10.7.1), 2GB DDR3, 2,26GHz

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 12:44 PM

12 replies

Aug 23, 2012 12:51 PM in response to Commifreak

Mountain Lion is damaged and you can't restore it. If you had an older backup, you can insert the Snow Leopard DVD, press C key in boot, go to Utilities and restore that backup. Erase Macintosh HD and install Snow Leopard if you haven't got one. Then, open App Store > Purchases and download Mountain Lion with the most recent update

Aug 25, 2012 1:57 PM in response to Commifreak

i booted into target disk mode, repaired permissions and the disk using another mac. re-booted. same thing - hang on the startup with the apple logo.

then i got my other mac, downloaded the mountain lion install (which ended up being 10.8.1). i created a bootable USB installation of mountain lion. then installed over top of the prior OS.

this seemed to clear everything up. (but oddly i did have to re-install the java runtime again.)

so while i didn't have to do a full re-install, and don't appear to have lost any data, i did have to spend a whole day on this.

like you, hopefully this is the last time an apple update crashes my system.

MacBook dead after update to 10.8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.