Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Separate disk drive for rMPB??!!

Do I understand correctly that the rMBP has no disk drive???!!!! I have to buy a separate drive for it??? That's kinda nuts to me, but maybe I'm missing something. Please educate me! 😕

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 12:48 PM

12 replies

Aug 23, 2012 1:07 PM in response to 1macprincess!

1macprincess! wrote:

so....kind of a waste of cash?

If you want an optical drive then yes it would be a waste of cash to buy a retina MBP. If an internal optical drive is not a need for you then it would not be a waste of cash.

Compare MBPs here http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select. Then you can decide what advantages there are for you for one over another.

Aug 24, 2012 9:37 AM in response to Bimmer 7 Series

Bimmer-Thanks for the honesty! Of course if it's what you want, it's not a "waste of cash", but so far, no one has offered any amazing reasons to entice me enough to purchase one. I was looking for owners, or prospective owners thoughts. I just don't want to have to tote around a drive. Kind of defeats the purpose of mobility. I already have to add a purse to my items to carry everywhere i go. I suppose if i could afford to have 2 laptops, i might consider it, but for now, the functionality is limiting to me. I especially liked your reference to "a macbook air on steroids"! 🙂

Aug 24, 2012 9:40 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Bob, thank you again, but i've been there, done that. I am attempting to hear feedback, and pros and cons from current owners, or prospective buyers. IN other words, through someone else's eyes. IN the end, I will make my own decision based on my needs, not someone elses. I am the type of person who likes to hear all sides, and other opinions. It has saved me many times from making a purchase I would have regretted.

Aug 24, 2012 9:59 AM in response to 1macprincess!

I also own a retina Macbook Pro but I do not consider it a waste of cash. The retina is lighter, thinner, faster, and has a great display. I travel a lot and have never been in need of an optical drive even with my old Macbook Pro that had an internal optical drive. I think the built in optical drive was just taking up space for no good reason.

So, in summary, I see the rMBP as an improvement and worth the money.

Separate disk drive for rMPB??!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.