Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message on 'CoreProfile' component, version 'X'

I upgraded to 10.8.1 today.
After issuing command Purge in the Terminal, I get following message:

[ERROR] <CPPathUtils.c:526> The device-file for this operating system, 'osx-12.1.0.xml', was not found. An attempt to revert to a previous revision of the OS device-file: 'osx-12.0.0.xml' has been made. Please file a Radar report with Apple, on the 'CoreProfile' component, version 'X'.

Since I'm not a registered developer, I cannot file a formal Bug Report. But here it is.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8.1

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 3:01 PM

16 replies

Sep 2, 2012 4:50 PM in response to ChipMcK#3

My suggestion is to do the following as this is a level 3 error so hence is non critical:

1. Open Terminal.app

2. cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreProfile.framework/Versions/A/Resources/De vices/

3. sudo ln -s osx-12.0.0.xml osx-12.1.0.xml

4. Enter password if asked

By adding a soft symbolic link you fool the purge command into believing the newer file exists. This type of link is non-distructive and hence if the file osx-12.1.0.xml will be overwritten if it is installed with a future update.

Use this at your own risk but it does offer a temporary fix. Its hard to say if the issue is fixed in 10.8.2 we will have to wait to find out. The fix has the benefit of preventing the annoying message about rolling back as the roll back will be done behind the scenes using the link.

Error message on 'CoreProfile' component, version 'X'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.