9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 8:44 PM by Anthony Tomasino
Mondofragilis Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

MBPro 17-inch late 2011.

Have internal Apple 500SSD (the boot) and switched out optical drive for a 750 Gb OWC hard disk.

All was working great until I just installed 10.8.1 and now my 750 Gb has disappeared! Gone. Not in Disk Utility not in Disk Drill. Cannot see it!

Ideas?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 17-inch late 2011
  • thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (30,540 points)

This doesn't have anything to do with 10.8.1. If a drive disappears like that, and isn't visible even in utilities like Disk Utility, then there's a hardware problem. Since you say you swapped the optical drive for a hard disk, my guess would be something to do with that installation. Perhaps a loose or slightly damaged cable that has chosen this moment to fail. Alternately, it could be that the drive itself has failed. Even if it's new, such things can happen, though that's rare.

• Mondofragilis Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Thanks Thomas. I would agree other than the MBP was sitting on my desk working fine, I was using the HD then I updated to 10.8.1 and it's gone. It would be one heck of a coincidence for the failure to happen at that exact moment. Let me dig into console to see if I find anything...

*edit*

All I can find is:

8/23/12 9:38:19.823 PM mds[70]: (Error) Server: No store registered for scope "/Volumes/C1T"

That does seem like a huge coincidence, but coincidence it must be. I cannot think of any reason for installing a system update to cause a hard drive to disappear like this. The worst a system update can do is badly corrupt a drive that is already slightly corrupt, and even then the drive will still show up in Disk Utility. It's got to be hardware.

Pulling out the screwdriver...

• Anthony Tomasino Level 2 Level 2 (360 points)

Like Thomas said, it's *extremely* rare for the update to cause this unless there is some dramatic hardware compatibility changes in the update, which I highly doubt. Do you have a drive enclosure and the ability to connect it to another computer to make sure it hasn't failed?

Unplugged it. Plugged it back in. Now works fine.

Bizarre...

Oh well.

Good! Like Thomas said, it was probably a loose connection. Make sure you have it mounted and secured properly so this does not happen again.

Probably the connection was never completely secure, and loosened over time. It's also possible that the heat generated by installing ML, and the expansion of heated components that would result, was enough to break an already loose connection. In any case, though, I'm glad you've got it fixed.

Remember to click "This solved my question" under Thomas' post so that other users know this issue is resolved. Good luck!