Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

me.com or mac.com?

Hello,

I'm on OS 10.7.4 on both machines.

I've suffered some frustration setting up screen sharing between my desktop and laptop machines. They can connect when in the same room, but in different cities, neither knows how to find the other on the internet.

I have a vague notion that I should be using Back to My Mac, but System Preferences: MobileMe won't let me log in. Is this because MobileMe is now obsolete and has been replaced by iCloud?

When I try to connect to MobileMe I get: "Unknown Validation Error. Your MobileMe member name or password may be invalid."

Should I just quit using MobileMe and use iCloud instead?

Meanwhile, one of my machines seems to think my icloud ID is myUserName@me.com. The other machine thinks it's myUserName@mac.com

Which one is correct for iCloud?

I tried to figure out which one is correct by sending two emails, one to .mac.com and one to me.com but they both arrived in my My .Mac Account mailbox.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 7:25 PM

Have you attempted using your regular Apple ID? I believe they both are interchangeable.

12 replies

Aug 23, 2012 7:48 PM in response to Anthony Tomasino

Thanks Anthony,

I tried logging into icloud.com

I shoulda thoughta that before.

Apparently myUserName@mac.com is the preferred account name and email address

myUsername@me.com is apparently a valid alternate. Not sure if this is true for all users. I might have entered me.com as an alternate address at some point, then forgot about it.

It's not clear that both addresses will work equally well when logging in for file sharing or screen sharing.

Apparently, Back To My Mac is no longer in use at all. I tried to log into me.com. It's shut down.

That makes me wonder why there's still a Mobile Me pane in System Preferences in OS 10.7.4. Teats on a boar, isn't that?

Tim

Sep 26, 2012 9:02 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

They may be theoreticall interchangeable but the problems I'm getting seem to be linked to the difference that perhaps still exists between them. In MAIL I can choose my alias for iCloud. In iCal I can't. One has the address ending in mac.com, the other in me.com. My iCal has gone completely haywire and I can't even restore it from old backups in Time Machine. I'm wondering whether this is because at some point - presumably the moment when the whole thing went pear-shaped - the old data was left on mac.com and I can't access that because my iCal only produces calendars that are linked to me.com, so the data that I import has nowhere to go. Is that silly? I would greatly appreciate any help I can get as my only prospect now is to re-enter thousands of events and even if I do that I have no confidence that they will not disappear all over again. I suppose the other option is to never use iCal again and I'll consider that if there's no better way.

Sep 27, 2012 5:22 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

There is no difference between the pre-@ parts of the two addresses.The situation is that a month ago my iCal went crazy. For a while, under the guidance of other forum posters, I managed to restore the previous calendars. Over time, they became more and more crazy until now I have only very recent events listed and none of the thousands of events that had been there before. Now I can't restore anything, using Time Machine or even icbu calendars I've saved to the desktop. I go into Time Machine and try to restore old calendars, even extremely old calendars that existed long before the problems I'm having and nothing works. I suspect that I will have to forget about using iCal and find another calendat application. I wish it wasn't so but can anyone suggest a better idea?

Sep 27, 2012 8:08 AM in response to Peter Best1

If an iCloud calendar has been deleted and you restore it from a backup, it will promptly be deleted again as iCloud's syncing system will helpfully bring it into line with what it sees as current reality.

You can get round it, but it's a bit of a fandango, described in this page:

Restoring iCloud calendars from Time Machine or other backup

If you still can't get it sorted I should ask in the iCal forum.

Sep 27, 2012 2:16 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Dear Roger, thanks for your help. In fact I hadn't tried your fandango, but another one somewhat like it. Where I come to grief is in identifying the various .ics files that are within the events folder of the calendars folder. Inside the calendars folder it looks like this:

file://localhost/Users/peterbest1/Library/Calendars/4ECD0D38-97CC-4EF7-BB81-8C56 672F72D0.caldav/

file://localhost/Users/peterbest1/Library/Calendars/30750D28-1CDF-4785-BBEA-0569 EC657EE2.calendar/

file://localhost/Users/peterbest1/Library/Calendars/Calendar%20Cache

file://localhost/Users/peterbest1/Library/Calendars/Calendar%20Cache~

file://localhost/Users/peterbest1/Library/Calendars/Calendar%20Sync%20Changes/

file://localhost/Users/peterbest1/Library/Calendars/DD743D51-8AD6-4FEE-AB0B-1F63 38B443FE.calendar/

file://localhost/Users/peterbest1/Library/Calendars/Email%20Cache.plist

file://localhost/Users/peterbest1/Library/Calendars/Incoming/

If I choose one of the folders ending in .calendar/ or in .caldav/ I get further folders, in each of which, in the events folder, I get dozens, maybe hundreds of .ics files, each one from a different date. How do I know which of the files to import, or do I have to import each of them? And how can I determine which of the folders ending in .calendar/ applies to which calendar? There are currently 2 iCloud calendars. Which of them do I restore from the .caldav/ folder, which itself contains further folders? It's so bewildering I want to scream. Perhaps I should just pay to go to the genius bar with my iMac and Time Machine drive and hope that somebody there will know what to do?

Oct 1, 2012 12:29 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Dear Roger, this worked. I didn't think it had, as everything disappeared when iCloud swung its usual right hook, but later it came back. The difference between this advice and everything else I've read (and I've read a lot) is that it gets rid of everything to do with iCal from my iMac, so the restoring process from Time Machine is complete. Why that then manages to fool iCloud I don't know, but somehow it did and all is well. Thank you very much.

me.com or mac.com?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.