Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing- Help

I have just recently made a file sharing folder. I kind of know what I am doing and kind of not. I got the server address to search it on web and then connect to the folder. What I have recently tried, which was a fail is trying to connect it from a different computer separate from the building i am in and it will not connect. My question is- how can you connect it? do you have to be on the same wifi? server? do i need to buy a product to be able to use it long distances?

Thank you

Much help is appreciated! 🙂

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 7:46 PM

1 reply

Aug 24, 2012 12:40 PM in response to basketballchick12

hi basketballchick12

I think we need a little more information to better assist you. I understand that you are trying to share a folder on a (? server (Assumption you are in the 10.6 server forum)).

I would first start with making sure you can access the shared folder on the local lan to make sure it is set up properly. You should be able to connect to the server by (on your workstation) clicking on Finder, Go (at the top) then down to "connect to server". In the dialog box that pops up, type in your servers IP address, and you will be prompted for a username and a password.

If this works and you can access the share locally, then you can move on to try to connect to it from accross a ?? question mark here because im not sure if ou are trying to connect accross the internet or what.

I know this mauy seem very straight forward when you are rying to type it but remember here on the internet we have no idea what you are seeing or experiancing and rely on your detail explination in order to properly assist you.

"I got the server address to search it on web and then connect to the folder."

I do not understand this statement. do you mean you got the IP address of the server, and searched it on the web? like in google? you wont connect to your server from a remote location like that.

Please provide as much detail as you can se we can better assist you.

HTH

File Sharing- Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.