Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hide files n folders

Plz help me by telling how to hide files n folders n how to view hidden ones.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 8:56 PM

To show hidden files and folder, open a terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

This will kill your Finder and reopen it (restart Finder) and now you will be able to see all hidden files and folder.

To hide (hidden folders and files), type the following in the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

If you want to create a hidden file or folder since Mac OSX is a unix based OS, then just open a terminal and create a file/folder that has '.' at the beginning of its name. For example to create a hidden Secret folder in your Desktop, do the following:

Open Terminal

cd Desktop

mkdir .Secret

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2012 8:56 PM in response to Community User

To show hidden files and folder, open a terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

This will kill your Finder and reopen it (restart Finder) and now you will be able to see all hidden files and folder.

To hide (hidden folders and files), type the following in the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

If you want to create a hidden file or folder since Mac OSX is a unix based OS, then just open a terminal and create a file/folder that has '.' at the beginning of its name. For example to create a hidden Secret folder in your Desktop, do the following:

Open Terminal

cd Desktop

mkdir .Secret

Aug 23, 2012 9:36 PM in response to Community User

I understand your fear of terminal (everybody has it), however the first two commands should be quite easy (i.e., showing hindden files/folders and hiding them).

Terminal is just another application located in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app. Just double click to open it. It will let you write some commands. Copy and paste the commands I have written above (if you want save them somewhere) and press enter. Voila, that should be it.

Unfortunatly Finder does not let you create folders/files starting with '.' (i.e., hidden), so I don't really have an easy way for that. I guess you (or somebody) could write an Automator script that would invoke these commands for you, but honestly that would be even more difficult.

Hide files n folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.