Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen on mid-2010 Macbook Pro

Any solution to Black screen on mid-2010 Macbook Pro? It has worked fine for 4 years. Now, the screen is dark and nothing seems to fix it. This laptop is out of warranty. What are my options?

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 7:53 PM

4 replies

Apr 11, 2014 4:51 PM in response to AMCarter3

I had the same problem, i had kernel panics almost every 10 minutes. i tried getting my macbook repaired by apple but my macbook was too old for the 3-years replacemend program.

As a last resort before ordering a new macbook pro i tried reflowing the GPU on my 2010 i5 macbook pro... And it worked like a charm! Since reflowing the gpu, i experienced zero kernel panics. So, before sending in your macbook to replace your GPU, try reflowing. Just dissassemble your macbook and take your motherboard. Remove the cooling paste, heat your GPU to the right temperature (see nvidia reflow profile(http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/131448/Nvidia+320m+reflow+profile)) and assemble your MBP.

Good luck!

Jul 28, 2016 6:03 AM in response to AMCarter3

After working on this issue for a while, I figured, the best solution is to install elementary OS... I have not had any graphics related issues since I switched to linux, it took a little to get used to it. This is especially funny, because at the apple store I was told that there is no software fix for this, because it is a hardware issue. Strangely the linux graphics driver works fine.

Black screen on mid-2010 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.