Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 10.8.1 update, time machine is VERY slow

I have read in these rooms, as well as in tons of other forums, many time machine problems folks had after upgrading to ML. I did not have those problems. I use a regular external disk connected via USB. It's worked great for over a year. Since the upgrade to ML, my time machine did about half a dozen backups. They all worked at the "normal" speed that they always had. Today, I got the 10.8.1 patch, and when I started the time machine backup, it took forever. It looked like I suddenly inherited the problems everyone else had been having before. After 2 hours I had backed up about 200 MEG of the 27 GIG backup. I tried some forum-suggested tmdiagnose, and shutting Sophos, but nothing changed the situation.

Has anyone found anything that really fixes this? Or are we just stuck until Apple believes enough of us really got broken?

Thanks.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 8:41 PM

9 replies

Aug 24, 2012 6:04 AM in response to ew85284

I installed ML fresh on 10.8 and no issues with Time Machine. When 10.8.1 released, I did another fresh install for 10.8.1 and am experiencing a major slow-down of Time Machine. It's saying 13 days to backup 172 gb. I have a Thunderbolt bolt with a 7200 GoFlex Pro backup.

After doing a (Command Option P R) restart, I also did an SMC refresh (Power down and press Shift Control Option Power Button..then press Power Button to turn it on) and did another (Command Option P R) restart. THEN, I went to Disk Utility and Repaired disk, erased it, and reset it for Time Machine.

VOILA!, it's back to quick and speedy. Hope it helps. If it does, please like this post. 🙂

Aug 24, 2012 3:10 PM in response to ew85284

Same here. in fact ML in general has been more of a Microsoft-Like experience. ML hung forever during install - just did that last week. long story. ML corrupts a "user setup done" file.

in addition to the new TM problem on 10.8.1, the sleep / hibernate has benn whacked out on my MBP since ML install. on wake up, bluetooth is lost, USB ports ( itunes storage, headset, scanner attached) all MIA. Power on off (not restart) finds them. Thought i'd corrected this on 10.8 by following some hibernate mode settings in another thread. and then noticing Pathfinder app shutting down Finder was having an effect, so changed prefs. seemed to help.

Then came 10.8.1 - I thought "good - that'll fix things in general".. not so much.

On TM, the behavior is spin forever on some size back up. or as the backed up size gets close to the total size shown, the total goes up again and it never catches up. TM is a FW800 drive. So basically, once a TM backup starts - it's gonna keep running for days.

& wake up / sleep is not right in different. Not when I move from desk with monitor, fw800 & USB hub. machine doesn't sleep like before. wake up to correct state requires restart and TM runs all the time

The TM back up is fresh for this MBP and ML install - 1 week. I guess will try the repair and even re-do from scratch.

No idea left on the sleep wake thing. off to search other threads.

sigh. if your a dedicated apple person, now you know what's it like to be a wintel person. Mountain Lion = Microsoft Like (imho)

W.

Sep 25, 2012 9:48 PM in response to lottathings1

update: I decided to just go get a new fw drive and create a clone of what I had, and then re-download/install 10.8 , which was 10.8.1 by that time. since that was when things went awry.

Got carbon copy cloner & a speedy little FW 800 drive (came with cable). Cloned what I had. tested the clone.

re-downloaded the ML install app (read to late in other post how to save it & avoid re-download). re-installed. let it take all the time it needed. checked things out - generally much better. after a couple of days decided it was solid enough and then wiped clone drive & re-cloned to the new install. tested that one too.

noticed that I had always liked clone backups better that data bkups anyway and just stayed with that route, with CCC making incremental backups. have not started TM again and don't really need it anyway.

going to let 10.8.2 simmer a bit before updating. do see some likely useful MBP mid-12 fixes listed in it.

W.

Oct 21, 2012 1:52 PM in response to ew85284

Re: OS X 10.8.2

Here are some rough comparative measurements of Time Machine/AFP throughput. Source machine is a modern iMac running OS X 10.8.2, connected through a Gigibit network to a modern Mac mini running 10.8.2 either as a stand-alone client or with Server 2.1.1. In Activity Monitor, I visually monitored the Network, getting a rough number for the average throughput. The Server software is installed on the mini's internal drive; the 10.8.2 client is installed on an external FW800 drive. The destination of the Time Machine backup is a freshly-erased 900 GB partition on another daisy-chained FW800 external drive. To switch targets, I merely restarted the mini using the correct startup volume, all other things being equal.

APF Target: OS X 10.8.2 (File Sharing Preference Panel):

1) Finder copy to a shared folder on the target's Startup Volume: 50 MB/sec

2) Finder copy to a folder on an external HD (connected to the target via FW800): 35 MB/sec

3) Time Machine: Create initial sparse bundle: 5 minutes.

4) Time Machine copy rate: < 5 MB/sec.

APF Target: OS X Server 10.8.2 (Server 2.1.1: Time Machine & File Sharing services enabled):

1) Finder copy to a shared folder on the target's Startup Volume: 100 MB/sec

2) Finder copy to a folder on an external HD (connected via FW800): 35 MB/sec

3) Time Machine: Create sparse bundle: 30 seconds

4) Time Machine copy rate: 35 MB/sec.

Notes:

1) Time Machine throughput to a 10.8.2 client is 5x slower than on Server 2.2.1.

2) Creating the sparse bundle takes 10x longer on 10.8.2 client than on 10.8.2 Server.

3) Time Machine throughput to a 10.8.2 client is 7x slower than a Finder copy to the same external volume on the same machine.

4) On 10.8.2 Server, AFP throughput to the Startup Volume is almost 3x faster than to an external FW 800 drive.

5) So worst-case Time Machine throughput to an external drive on a 10.8.2 client is 20x slower than the best-case Finder transfer to a startup-volume share on 10.8.2 Server.

Does anyone else see these throughput discrepencies?

After 10.8.1 update, time machine is VERY slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.