Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery worse After mountain lion 10.8.1 update?

Anybody else?

Indicated battery life worse w 10.8.1

m-2011 i7 256G 11" MBA here, new last Christmas.

Had two different fully-charged values for same conditions prior to update, 2:31 and 2:10 ( both corresponding to ca. 97% and Service Battery status. )

After update, 2:03! (I've not bothered with any of that fresh install or SMC reset b.s.; if Apple doesn't tell me, in this situation, to do X or Y, I'm not going to experiment.)

I was one of the folks who, after complaining in an Apple forum, Apple called-up and loaded diagnostic software on their device, and then called up a 2nd time for more data.

I sent a note and screen-shots, of the current retrograde situation, to my contactat Apple.

Let's hope that 10.8.2 will be the charm.

Btw, shouldn't power nap have downloaded all this software and then notified me? It didn't. Also didn't put up a note in notification center flagging me that updates were available.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 9:00 PM

14 replies

Aug 24, 2012 8:55 AM in response to Robert Huebi

I have a mid-2010 2.4 ghz Core 2 Duo 13' MBP and after the 10.8.1 update, my battery life has been horrible as well.

Intially, after upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion my battery life increased a lot despite most people reporting it was worse.Was that the same case for you?

Maybe the "battery life fix" was only for newer model macbooks and older (2011 and older) models were left out?

Aug 26, 2012 7:12 PM in response to micspe6514

I have a mid-2011 Macbook Air and, after the Mountain Lion update, my battery life was fantastic. Particularly when I was streaming video or when I put it to sleep, it seemed to be much better. For example, I could watch a few minutes of video and only see the battery percentage drop 1 or 2%.

After the 10.8.1 update, I am lucky if I don't lose 1% surfing the internet for 1 minute. If I put it to sleep, it might lose 5% in a half an hour. I think what fixed the problem for others caused an issue for us.

Aug 26, 2012 7:29 PM in response to Robert Huebi

I'm having the same problem. The fan runs constantly, the battery drains quickly, and my apps absolutely CRAWL. Frankly, I'm very disappointed. If Apple doesn't fix this soon, I will consider myself burned. I have seen nothing interesting in Mountain Lion to have spent $20, but I would have accepted that if it didn't make my late 2011 model MacBook Air unusable.

I would love to get an answer from Apple on this one.

Sep 26, 2012 10:09 AM in response to Robert Huebi

Sorry for the late in responding.

In fact, just today, I sent a note to my contact at Apple informing him that 10.8.2 had not solved my battery problem.

Even after two discharge, charge, cycles, full charge is indicated at 97%, with 1h:04m time available (new 9 mos ago was on the order of 5h.)

In addition, I now have a persistent "service battery" warning flag.

When I hear more from apple, or if I replace the battery, I will report back here.

Battery worse After mountain lion 10.8.1 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.