4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2012 9:08 AM by William Lloyd
Jarveye Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Im on: Mac Pro 2x2 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Im running: Aperture v2.1.4

ill keep this to the point - already have a more in depth post but no solutions yet

I have my aperture library on my main HD which is now over 170GB in size, the actual images are referenced to external HDs

I am VERY low on space on the main HD so bought a new big and fast internal HD just for the library to make room and speed things up a bit, but i cannot copy the library file over...

It takes a long time as you can imagine to copy the file over, and it keeps failing, the first time i got the message:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation becuse some data in "DSC_5123.jpg" could not be read or written. (error code-36)"

(there are quite alot of files with that exact name so i didnt know which one it was and where it was)

then i tryed doing a 'verify disk permissions' and 'repair disk permissions' on the main HD followed by doing a 'permission repair' and 're-build library' in aperture.

following this i tryed copying it over again and now i get:

"The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "OriginalVersionInfo.apversion" could not be read or written.

(error code - 36)"

(there are one of these for every image so i really couldnt know which one this was)

it takes SOOOO long to copy it over only for it to fail, and meanwhile at work im getting more and more photos coming in and less and less space on my Macintosh HD - PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Mac Pro 2x2Ghz Dual Core Xeon, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 6CB 667Mhz DDR2 FB DIMM
  • 1. Re: impossible problem? please help!
    léonie Level 9 Level 9 (51,720 points)

This error message is very typical for copying files and folders from a MacOS filesystem to a drive formatted MS-DOS (FAT). Probably your new drive came formatted MS-DOS (FAT) - the default for most externaldrives. If this should be the the case, reformat the drive using Disk Utility, for an Aperture Library needs to be installed on a volume formatted MacOS X extended.

The Disk Utility application is in the "Utilities" subfolder of the "Applications" folder.

To format your drive, backup all data from the drive that you need to save, launch "Disk Utility", click the "Erase" tab, and select the drive in the sidebar of the Disk Utility window. Then set the "Format" pop-up menu to "MacOS X Extended Journaled" and click erase.du.png

Good Luck

Léonie

• 2. Re: impossible problem? please help!
    Jarveye Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Well i actually did re-format it to Mac OS Extended, but not Journaled - because the apple hints said journaled was better for holding the operating system and non journaled was faster for storing files - but perhaps the difference is what is causing the problem?

the last time i tryed it again it got to 169GB transferred with 5 mins left before failing.... the agony! will try re-formatting to journaled and see if that solves it.

• 3. Re: impossible problem? please help!
    Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (23,830 points)

Error -36 is a general catch all read/write disk error. The problem could be with the new drive or else it could be on the drive you are copying from.

You should look in the console logs to see if anything is being logged there for this error. The entries are timed stamped so you should be able to narrow down the entries to about when the problem happened.

You should also do a disk repair on the source drive. If I understand your post that drive is the boot drive, correct? If so in order to repair that disk you will need to boot off of another disk, you cant repair the boot volume. The easiest way to do this is to boot off the install DVD that came with the system. Once you are running on the DVD you can use Disk Utility to repair the drive.

Post back with the results, good luck

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano - BTW while changing the format to journeled is a good idea it is very unlikely to fix this problem.

• 4. Re: impossible problem? please help!
    William Lloyd Level 6 Level 6 (19,355 points)

Journaled is better.  ALWAYS use journaled.  If you don't use journaled and you don't cleanly unplug the drive you could lose data or best case it will take the system 3-4 hours to run 'fsck' before it can mount it.